Glam rock emerged from the English psychedelic and art rock scenes of the late 1960s and can be seen as both an extension of, and a reaction against, those trends. Its origins are associated with Marc Bolan, who had renamed his acoustic duo T. Rex and taken up electric instruments by the end of the 1960s.
Glam rock is a genre of rock music that was popular in the early 1970s. It was made famous by acts such as David Bowie, Elton John, T. Rex, Alice Cooper, Slade, Gary Glitter, Queen and Sweet. Glam fans (usually referred to as the "glitter people") and performers distinguished themselves from the denim-clad hippie-hordes with sci-fi/mythological ...
- Backbeat, Distortion, Rock band, Electric guitar, Electric bass, Rhythm section, Drum kit
- Origins of rock and roll, Electronics in rock music, Social effects, Rock Against Communism, Rock Against Racism, Rock Against Sexism, Rock music and the fall of communism, Rockism and poptimism, Women in rock
- 1950s, Instrumental rock, Latin rock, Pop rock, Rock and roll, British, Rockabilly, 1960s, Acid rock, Anatolian rock, Art rock, Baroque rock, Beat music, Blues rock, Boogie rock, Christian rock, Comedy rock, Country rock, Electronic rock, Experimental rock, Folk rock, Flamenco rock, Garage rock, Hard rock, Heavy metal, Jam, Jazz rock, Krautrock, Power pop, Progressive rock, Psychedelic rock, Raga rock, Roots rock, Samba rock, Southern rock, Space rock, Surf music, 1970s, Arena rock, Cock rock, Dance-rock, Funk rock, Glam rock, Gothic rock, Heartland rock, Ostrock, Post-progressive, Pub rock (United Kingdom), Pub rock (Australia), Punk rock, Soft rock, Visual kei, Yacht rock, 1980s, Alternative rock, Rap rock, Trop rock, 1990s, Stoner rock, Sufi rock, Viking rock
- Active rock, Adult album alternative, Album-oriented rock, Classic rock, Mainstream rock, Modern rock, Progressive rock (radio format)
Glam metal, also known as hair metal or pop metal, is a subgenre of heavy metal, which features pop-influenced hooks and guitar riffs, and borrows heavily from the fashion and image of 1970s glam rock. Early glam metal evolved directly from the glam rock movement of the 1970s, as visual elements taken from acts such as T. Rex, the New York ...
This is a list of notable musical acts who pertain to the glam rock genre of music.
Hard rock began losing popularity with the commercial success of R&B, hip-hop, urban pop, grunge and later Britpop in the 1990s. Despite this, many post-grunge bands adopted a hard rock sound and the 2000s saw a renewed interest in established bands, attempts at a revival, and new hard-rock bands that emerged from the garage rock and post-punk revival scenes.
Glam rock, musical movement that began in Britain in the early 1970s and celebrated the spectacle of the rock star and concert. Often dappled with glitter, male musicians took the stage in women’s makeup and clothing, adopted theatrical personas, and mounted glamorous musical productions frequently
People also ask
What are some glam rock bands?
Where was glam rock music created?
What are glam rock groups?
- "Ballroom Blitz," Sweet. In many ways they were the band that started it all, and this, their biggest stateside hit, remains a classic bar brawl anthem that even survived model Tia Carrere's awful Wayne's World version.
- "Metal Guru," T. Rex. A two-chord wonder and, in true Marc Bolan fashion, an ode to a car and a girl at the same time, it inspired the Smiths' own very different '80s hit "Panic."
- "Suffragette City," David Bowie. The most popular of his Ziggy Stardust anthems and very possibly a story of a proudly gay man being tempted by the fairer sex.
- "Cum On Feel The Noize," Slade. Later repurposed as a debut single for Quiet Riot, the original still holds plenty of power, a great example of Slade's ability to make everything sound like a pub singalong with power chords.
Glam rock on rockmusiikin tyylisuunta, joka nousi suosioon 1970-luvun alussa. Glam rockin tunnistettavimmat piirteet liittyvät musiikin esittäjien ulkonäköön. Esiintyjät suosivat huomiota herättävää ja usein androgyynistä pukeutumista. Glam rockin olemukseen kuuluvat myös melodramaattisuus, ironia ja identiteeteillä leikittely.
Examples of how to use “glam rock” in a sentence from the Cambridge Dictionary Labs