Henry James OM (() 15 April 1843 – () 28 February 1916 ) was an American author.He is regarded as a key transitional figure between literary realism and literary modernism and is considered by many to be among the greatest novelists in the English language.
Feb 24, 2021 · Henry James, (born April 15, 1843, New York, New York, U.S.—died February 28, 1916, London, England), American novelist and, as a naturalized English citizen from 1915, a great figure in the transatlantic culture.
Traveling often throughout his long and productive life, Henry James wrote fiction and travel literature about Americans in Europe and Europeans in America during the great epoch of transatlantic tourism and exchange in the second half of the 19th century.
Henry James was born into a wealthy and educated family in New York on April 15, 1843. His father Henry James Sr. was a well known clergyman and a rich intellectual having connections with some of the most influential and educated people of the time. Education was of utmost importance to Henry’s family.
Henry James (1843 - 1916) was a key figure of 19th century realism, born in New York City in 1843, but spent most of his life in Europe. He became a British subject in 1915, a year before his death. James wrote a series of novels about Americans encountering Europeans and their experiences in Europe.
Henry James, OM (April 15, 1843-February 28, 1916), son of Henry James Sr. and brother of the philosopher and psychologist William James and diarist Alice James, was an American-born author and literary critic of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He spent much of his life in Europe and became a British subject shortly before his death.
- The Turn of the Screw. Strange Creatures. Eager to impress, the young governess takes his orders rather seriously. Even when strange things start happening around the country house where she works.
- The Portrait of a Lady. Isabel Archer. Isabel Archer is the lady this book draws a portrait of. Smart, curious, and independent, Isabel’s aunt gets her to cross the Atlantic from her native United States and go to Europe with her to visit her uncle and cousin.
- Daisy Miller. Culture Clash. Annie “Daisy” Miller is a young woman from New York on the pre-requisite tour through Europe for well-to-do Americans. Travelling with her slightly dim mother and rambunctious nine-year-old brother, Daisy will get caught in the middle of the culture clash between both sides of the Atlantic.
- The Wings of the Dove. Milly Theale. Milly Theale is a naïve American heiress, who has come into great fortune. The young wealthy heiress is doomed, however, due to her brittle health.
Henry James (1843-1916), noted American-born English essayist, critic, and author of the realism movement wrote The Ambassadors(1903), The Turn of the Screw(1898), and The Portrait of a Lady(1881); "I always understood," he continued, "though it was so strange--so pitiful.
- “Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.” ― Henry James.
- “She feels in italics and thinks in CAPITALS.” ― Henry James.
- “Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.” ― Henry James.
- “I'm glad you like adverbs — I adore them; they are the only qualifications I really much respect.” ― Henry James.
Mar 01, 2021 · Henry James. Bar in Nashville. Opening at 5:00 PM. Get Quote Call (615) 852-6596 Get directions WhatsApp (615) 852-6596 Message (615) 852-6596 Contact Us Find Table ...
- related to: henry james
PublicDataCheck.com has been visited by 10K+ users in the past month