- Foreign Languages Spoken in China . English is one of the most critical foreign languages in China, with about 10 million speakers all over the country. The majority of English speakers are found in the urban centers of the country. In Hong Kong, English is established as an official language and is used in both print and electronic media.
People also ask
What language do Chinese speak?
What is the most spoken language in China?
What are the different types of Chinese language?
What are the different Chinese dialects?
- National Language of China: Standard Chinese
- Official Languages of China
- Regional Languages of China
- Foreign Languages Spoken in China
Standard Chinese is the official language in mainland China, as well as in Taiwan, and is also known as Standard Mandarin or Modern Standard Mandarin. The language is a standardized dialect of Mandarin language, but features aspects of other dialects in its usage, including written vernacular Chinese in the language’s grammar, Mandarin dialects in its vocabulary, and the Beijing dialect in the pronunciation of its words. In mainland China, Standard Chinese is also known as Putonghua (loosely...
Another language that has official status in China is Cantonese. The origin of the language can be traced to the port city of Guangzhou, from where its use spread throughout the Pearl River Delta. Guangzhou is also known as Canton, and it is from this city that the language got its name. Cantonese is used as the official language in Hong Kong, as provided for by the Hong Kong Basic Law, and is utilized in all government communication, including court and tribunal proceedings. Cantonese is als...
Wu Chinese is a dialect of Chinese that is predominantly spoken in the eastern region of China. The language exists in six main subgroups, which are geographically defined. These subgroups include Taihu, Taizhou, Oujiang, Wuzhou, Chu-Qu, and Xuanzhou. The language can also be divided into 14 varieties, which include the Shanghainese, Huzhou, Wuxi, Ningbo, Suzhou, Changzhou, Jiaxing, Hangzhou, Shaoxing, Xuanzhou, Chuqu, Taizhou, Wuzhou, and Oujiang dialects. The total number of Wu speakers in...
English is one of the most critical foreign languages in China, with about 10 million speakers all over the country. The majority of English speakers are found in the urban centers of the country. In Hong Kong, English is established as an official language and is used in both print and electronic media. English is also used as a lingua franca in China during international engagements. Another major international language in China is Portuguese, which is used as the official language in Macau.
In China, English is used as a lingua franca in several fields, especially for business settings, and in schools to teach Standard Mandarin to people who are not Chinese citizens. English is also one of the official languages in Hong Kong .
- Chinese. With an astounding figure of 1.284 billion, Chinese is the most spoken language in the world. At that figure, one in seven people in the world speaks the language.
- Spanish. At 437 Million native speakers, Spanish is second. For some, it’s one of the sexiest languages in the world. For others, it’s regarded as one of the easiest languages to learn (debatable as always).
- English. English may not be the most spoken language, but it’s one of the most widely spoken (if not the most widely spoken). It’s the lingua franca of travel and business.
- Arabic. Ethnologue estimates that the number of native Arabic speakers is 295 million. Arabic consists of 19 sub-categories of languages. Get your head around that.
For example, some languages, including Chinese and Arabic, cover several mutually unintelligible varieties and are sometimes considered single languages and sometimes language families. Conversely, colloquial registers of Hindi and Urdu are almost completely mutually intelligible, so they are sometimes classified as one language, Hindustani ...
Nearly three-quarters of the population in Singapore are ethnic Chinese but English is one of the national languages and very widely-spoken. Many believe that this has helped the city state earn...
As of 2020 there are 1.27 billion English speakers around the world. This makes it the most spoken language, ahead of Mandarin Chinese (1.12 billion speakers) and Hindi (637 million speakers). More than 50 countries officially list English as an official language.
Mandarin is concentrated, while English is spread out. Because Mandarin's size is primarily due to native speakers, it is not surprising to see it concentrated in fewer countries – primarily in Asia – that have the most first-language speakers. English has more non-native speakers, and so can be found in far more countries, particularly in Africa.
Nov 27, 2020 · The statistic shows the most spoken languages worldwide in 2019. In 2019 there were around 1.27 billion people worldwide who spoke English either natively or as a second language, slightly more ...
- related to: is english a chinese language spoken