Ellen Burstyn injured her back while being thrown around the set. Actors Jack MacGowran and Vasiliki Maliaros both died before the movie was even released and a fire destroyed most of the set. A film-goer seeing the movie also broke his jaw after fainting. He sued Warner Bros., claiming the flick made him pass out.2.
Oct 16, 2020 · Interestingly, Jack MacGowran and Vasiliki Maliaros, two actors whose characters die in The Exorcist, both died in real life soon after filming was finished and never got to see the final product. Because of The Exorcist , audiences found out that the devil can speak Greek, and the voice he used was that of Vasiliki Maliaros, whose words in ...
Vasiliki Maliaros, Actress: The Exorcist. Vasiliki Maliaros was born on October 16, 1883 in Athens, Greece. She was an actress, known for The Exorcist (1973). She died on February 9, 1973 in The Bronx, New York, USA.
- October 16, 1883
- Vasiliki Maliaros
- February 9, 1973
People also ask
Who was Jack MacGowran and what did he do?
When did Jack MacGowran release his first LP?
When did Jack MacGowran marry Aileen Gloria Nugent?
Oct 26, 2012 · 1. The film is considered cursed. Ellen Burstyn was permanently injured during filming, stars Jack MacGowran and Vasiliki Maliaros both died before the movie was even released and a fire destroyed ...
- Sophie Blackman
- Jack MacGowran (Burke Dennings) The actor died tragically before the film was released on January 30, 1973, of complications from influenza, which he’d contracted while in London during a flu epidemic.
- Barton Heyman (Dr. Klein) Barton died a few years after the film was released on May 15, 1996, due to heart failure at the age of 59. Although he played the small part of Dr. Klein, the part was crucial to explore the plot of whether it is a possession, or a psychological phenomenon.
- Linda Blair (Regan MacNeil) The leading actress played Regan, the possessed child who was once a 12-year-old sweet and innocent little girl who ends up killing her friends and family.
- Lee J. Cobb (Lt. William Kinderman) Lee also died a few years after the film was released. On February 11, 1976, the actor behind the character William Kinderman died of a heart attack at the age of 64.
In 1973, William Friedkin set out to bring William Blattys novel, THE EXORCIST, to the big screen. The story of a young girl possessed by a demon, THE EXORCIST instilled terror in audiences. Taking on the subject of demonic possession and a very controversial Catholic ritual was sure to turn a few heads (no pun intended).
But after many strange and catastrophic occurrences, many became convinced that the film set and the movie itself were cursed by a demon. Read on to learn about a series of tragic events that led many to believe THE EXORCIST is in fact cursed.
4. Chances are good that any film that takes over a year to complete will be associated with bad incidences, but THE EXORCIST has a few deaths. Actors Jack MacGowran, and Vasiliki Maliaros both died while the film was in post-production. What makes their deaths strange is that their characters died in the film as well. Other deaths that occurred during the filming of THE EXORCIST include Linda Blairs grandfather and Max Von Sydows brother, who died on Maxs first day of shooting. Also while filming, the son of Jason Miller, who played Father Damien Karras, was nearly killed when a motorcycle hit him.
6. In 1987, actress Mercedes McCambridge, who played the demonic voice of Pazuzu, was the victim of a horrific tragedy when her son murdered his wife and children before taking his own life.
7. Many believed that the actual film was cursed and that playing it through a projector was an invitation for demonic possession. Televangelist Billy Graham stated, There is a power of evil in the film, in the fabric of the film itself. When it was first released the film was banned in every Middle Eastern country but Lebanon (the re-release was banned in Lebanon). During the Roman premiere, audiences had to fight their way through a torrential downpour, accompanied by thunder and lightning, in order to get in to the theater. Many inside claimed to hear a horrific, almost demonic cry, coming from outside once the film started rolling. At one showing, a woman was so frightened she passed out in the theater and broke her jaw when she fell. She later sued the filmmakers suggesting that subliminal messages caused the accident. Warner Brothers settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.
Jan 13, 2017 · The Exorcist actors Jack MacGowran, and Vasiliki Maliaros both died while the film was in post-production. The Exorcist was MacGowran's last film role as the alcoholic director Burke Dennings.
Jack MacGowran. John Joseph MacGowran (13 October 1918 – 30 January 1973) was an Irish actor, probably best known for his work with Samuel Beckett. His last film role was as the alcoholic director Burke Dennings in The Exorcist (1973).
- The Wizard of Oz (1939) Let’s start off with a silver screen classic. The Wizard of Oz was MGM’s response to the commercial success Disney saw with the release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
- Rosemary’s Baby (1968) Rosemary’s Baby is known as one of the films that redefined the horror movie genre. Maybe that’s why it’s no surprise many believe its cast to be cursed.
- The Exorcist (1973) The Exorcist is without a doubt one of the most controversial horror films ever released. To start, many, including televangelist Billy Graham, felt just watching the film in theaters meant you were allowing demons to exert control over and corrupt your soul.
- The Superman franchise. This is an example of a Hollywood curse that doesn’t just affect a single film, but an entire franchise. From death to broken relationships, it appears this might be the most cursed superhero franchise of them all.