The museum at La Brea Tar Pits remains closed until further notice. The park at La Brea Tar Pits is currently open, and visitors can see paleontologists working at our excavation site weekly. See NHMLAC's response to coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Visitor Information
Visitor Information | La Brea Tar Pits. The museum at La...
- Buy Tickets
COVID-19 Safety Guidelines | La Brea Tar Pits
- Plan Your Visit
Plan Your Visit | La Brea Tar Pits. The museum at La Brea...
- Visitor Information
La Brea Tar Pits are a group of tar pits around which Hancock Park was formed in urban Los Angeles. Natural asphalt (also called asphaltum, bitumen, pitch, or tar—brea in Spanish) has seeped up from the ground in this area for tens of thousands of years. The tar is often covered with dust, leaves, or water.
According to Tripadvisor travelers, these are the best ways to experience La Brea Tar Pits and Museum: La Brea Tar Pits Tour by Segway (From $152.83) Los Angeles Hop-On Hop-Off Double-Decker Bus Tour (From $49.00) Los Angeles Highlights Full-Day Guided Tour (From $183.59) Go Los Angeles All-Inclusive City Pass: 40+ attractions and theme parks ...
- 5801 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, 90036-4539, California
The extinct animals discovered at La Brea Tar Pits were trapped in the asphalt between 11,000 to 50,000 years ago. They may have lived in the Los Angeles region for much of the last 100,000 years. Before that time the Los Angeles Basin was covered by the Pacific Ocean.
La Brea Tar Pits, tar (Spanish brea) pits, in Hancock Park (Rancho La Brea), Los Angeles, California, U.S. The area was the site of “pitch springs” oozing crude oil that was used by local Indians for waterproofing. Gaspar de Portolá’s expedition in 1769 explored the area, which encompasses about 20
- New campus concepts for LA's La Brea Tar Pits unveiledThree architect-led teams have unveiled conceptual approaches for reimagining the famed La Brea Tar Pits, an active ...Associated Press via Yahoo News2 years ago
- Prehistoric Hollywood: The Fossil Finds Beneath The New Academy MuseumDeadline via Yahoo News1 year ago
- 'OK Human': Ranking the songs on Weezer's new albumUSA TODAY Entertainment via Yahoo News1 month ago
- It's not 'Pinkerton.' But Weezer's Rivers Cuomo gets pretty emo on 'OK Human'LA Times via Yahoo News1 month ago
- Weezer Preview New LP ‘OK Human’ With ‘All My Favorite Songs’Rolling Stone via Yahoo News1 month ago
- Weezer Announce New Album OK HumanPitchfork via Yahoo News1 month ago
People also ask
How were the bones preserved from the La Brea tar pits?
Where are the LaBrea Tar Pits located?
How far is La Brea tar pits from Los Angeles?
Where is tar pit located?
The La Brea Tar Pits/Page Museum is open daily from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., with four exceptions--it is closed New Year's Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Admission prices range from $5 to mid-teens; children 2 and under are free. How to get to the La Brea Tar Pits/Page Museum The La Brea Tar Pits/Page Museum is located at 5801 ...
- (323) 857-6300
- 5801 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, 90036, CA
La Brea Tar Pits Composition and Formation. Even though it remains impossible to determine the exact age of the La Brea Tar Pits, evidence shows their age to be at least 40,000 years. The pits primarily formed from a heavy fraction of oil, and gilsonite. As it seeps to the surface, it cools into variously sized mounds.
- MORE THAN 3.5 MILLION FOSSILS HAVE BEEN DISCOVERED. The tar pits have yielded one of the biggest collections of Ice Age fossils in the world, and collectively, the statistics are stunning.
- PALEONTOLOGISTS STILL DIG THERE 361 DAYS A YEAR.
- THE ONLY DINOSAURS FOUND THERE ARE BIRDS. After the paleontologists at La Brea have convinced you they aren't robots, they'll be quick to clear up another misconception: They don't dig up dinosaurs.
- THE PRESERVATION OF FOSSILS IS EXCEPTIONAL. Sticky asphalt is a pain to clean off the bones, but it also keeps them in pristine condition. This means scientists can look at features as subtle as the markings on carnivore teeth.
- related to: la brea tar pits
The most venerable and polished of the tour-and-activity sites. - BBC