Launceston (/ ˈ l ɒ n s ɛ s t ən / ) is a major city in the north of Tasmania, Australia, at the junction of the North Esk and South Esk rivers where they become the Tamar River (kanamaluka). Launceston has a population of 110,472 in the significant urban area   (2020).
Launceston City Council (or City of Launceston) is a local government body in Tasmania, located in the city and surrounds of Launceston in the north of the state. The Launceston local government area is classified as urban and has a population of 67,449, which also encompasses the localities including Lilydale, Targa and through to Swan Bay on the eastern side of the Tamar River
- 47.701/km² (123.54/sq mi)
- 1 January 1853
- 1,414 km² (545.9 sq mi)
- 67,449 (2018)
People also ask
Which is the closest city to Launceston Tasmania?
Which is the most popular form of transport in Launceston?
What causes air pollution in Launceston, Tasmania?
When did the Europeans settle in Launceston Australia?
File:Launceston City LGA Tasmania locator map.svg. Size of this PNG preview of this SVG file: 489 × 600 pixels. Other resolutions: 196 × 240 pixels | 391 × 480 pixels | 626 × 768 pixels | 835 × 1,024 pixels | 780 × 957 pixels. This is a file from the Wikimedia Commons. Information from its description page there is shown below.
Councils of Tasmania are the 29 administrative districts of the Australian state of Tasmania. Local government areas (LGAs), more generally known as councils, are the tier of government responsible for the management of local duties such as road maintenance, town planning and waste management.
West Launceston is a residential locality in the local government area (LGA) of Launceston in the Launceston LGA region of Tasmania. The locality is about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) south-west of the town of Launceston. The 2016 census provides a population of 4212 for the state suburb of West Launceston.
Launceston is a city in Australia. It is the second biggest city in the state of Tasmania. It has about 100,000 people. It is at the place where the North Esk, South Esk and Tamar Rivers meet. It was founded in 1806.