Launceston (/ ˈ l ɒ n s ɛ s t ən / ) is a city in the north of Tasmania, Australia, at the junction of the North Esk and South Esk rivers where they become the Tamar River (kanamaluka). Launceston has a population of 110,472 in the significant urban area.
Launceston City Council (or City of Launceston) is a local government body in Tasmania, located in the city and surrounds of Launceston in the north of the state. The Launceston local government area is classified as urban and has a population of 67,449, which also encompasses the localities including Lilydale, Targa and through to Swan Bay on the eastern side of the Tamar River.
- 47.701/km² (123.54/sq mi)
- 1 January 1853
- 1,414 km² (545.9 sq mi)
- 67,449 (2018)
People also ask
Where is Launceston Tasmania?
Where is Launceston City Council?
What was the population of Launceston in 2016?
Which is the second largest city in Tasmania?
Tasmania was the first place in the southern hemisphere to have electric lights, starting with Launceston in 1885 and Zeehan in 1900. The state economy was riding mining prosperity until World War I. In 1901, the state population was 172,475. 
- 1 January 1901
Invermay is a residential locality in the local government area (LGA) of Launceston in the Launceston LGA region of Tasmania. The locality is about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) north of the town of Launceston. The 2016 census provides a population of 3061 for the state suburb of Invermay.
Tasmania has had a number of former local government areas. In 1907, the 149 road trusts or town boards (LGAs) of Tasmania were reduced by mergers and amalgamations to 53 LGAs. By the time of a large scale overhaul in 1993, 46 LGAs were reduced to the present-day 29.
History Beginnings. The early railways of Tasmania were constructed by a number of private companies, each using a differing gauge. In 1871, the Launceston and Western Railway (L&WR) opened the first railway line in Tasmania, with a 5 ft 3 in (1,600 mm) line from Launceston to Deloraine.
Launceston (/ ˈlɒnsɛstən / (listen)) is a city in the north of Tasmania, Australia, at the junction of the North Esk and South Esk rivers where they become the Tamar River (kanamaluka). Area: 435.4 km² (168.1 sq mi) (2011 urban)