- Fort Niagara Lighthouse. 1872. There have been multiple lights on this land here at the mouth of the Niagara River. The first Fort Niagara Light was established on the roof of the stone fort in 1781.
- Olcott Lighthouse. 1873 – replica. In 2003, this replica was built from old photographs. The lighthouse is open to the public 8am-7pm daily. It is next to the Lakeview Village Shoppes—a colorful little boardwalk of shops featuring ice cream and lake-themed clothing and decor.
- Thirty Mile Point Lighthouse. 1876. Located in Golden Hill State Park, the light served as a coastal light. This point, thirty miles east of the mouth of the Niagara River, is the northernmost point on Lake Ontario’s southern shore.
- Oak Orchard Lighthouse. 1871 – replica. The original lighthouse stood on the west side of the Oak Orchard Creek (or Oak Orchard River, depending on who you ask!)
Oswego West Pierhead Lighthouse. Oswego is an Iroquois Indian word meaning “the small water pouring into that which is large,” which accurately describes the confluence of the Oswego River and Lake Ontario. Four forts have stood watch over the mouth of the Oswego River, starting with one built by the British in 1755 and including the present Fort Ontario, which was constructed by Americans starting in 1839 and has been improved several times.
Sodus Point Light is a historic lighthouse along the shores of Lake Ontario at the entrance to Sodus Bay in Sodus Point, New York. A s commercial shipping increased on the Great Lakes during the nineteenth century, a series of lighthouses were constructed at key ports.
Sodus Bay Lighthouse Six-mile-long and three-mile-wide Sodus Bay is the largest natural harbor on Lake Ontario. Native Americans called the shimmering bay Assorodus meaning Silvery Waters, and white settlers, attracted by the bay’s potential, arrived in the area in 1792.
Fair Haven Outer Breakwater (Lake Ontario) USA 278: Hist - New York-----Fair Haven Range (Lake Ontario) USA 1304: Hist - New York-----Fire Island: USA 286 - - New York: 40° 37.9' N: 073° 13.1' W: Map: FN30jp-6: Fire Island (Old) USA 1330: Hist - New York: 40° 37.2' N: 073° 13.0' W: Map: FN30jo--Fort Niagara (Lake Ontario) USA 294 - - New ...
The Oswego West Pierhead Lighthouse was designed and fabricated at the Tenth Lighthouse District Depot in Buffalo, New York and then transferred to the crib at Oswego, where it was erected, and was placed into service on November 24, 1934.
The next section of the road passes picturesque farming communities along Lake Ontario on the Lake Ontario Parkway. Thirty miles from the mouth of the Niagara River is the Thirty Mile Point Lighthouse, located within Golden Hill State Park (H8). The Lighthouse was built in 1875 to warn sailors of a dangerous sandbar and shoal as opposed to other lighthouses built to guide ships to safe harbor.
Town of Ontario Historical Society and Heritage Square Museum The Town of Ontario is located in the northwest corner of Wayne County along the shores of Lake Ontario. The first settler was Freeman Hopkins, a Quaker, who arrived from New England in 1806 and built a log cabin on the lakeshore when this area was still a part of the town of Williamson.
The Great Lakes Seaway Trail is a 518 mile scenic drive along Lake Erie, the Niagara River, Lake Ontario, and the St. Lawrence River in New York and Pennsylvania. We’ll be focused on the portion that runs along the southern Lake Ontario shoreline, from Fort Niagara in Youngstown to Fort Ontario in Oswego.
The trail was extended southwestward around the edge of Lake Ontario to Niagara Falls in 1984 and along the shores of the Niagara River and Lake Erie to the Pennsylvania state line in 1986, completing the byway's modern 454-mile (731 km) alignment within New York. It was later designated as a New York State Scenic Byway.