This article lists the most-visited art museums in the world in 2020. The primary source is The Art Newspaper annual survey of the number of visitors to major art museums in 2020, published 30 March 2021. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the museums listed were closed during the year for long periods of time. For example, the Louvre, the top ...N.MuseumCityVisitors Annually12,700,000 (2020) (down 72 percent from ...21,600,000 (2020) (down 78 percent from ...3London1,432,941 (2020) (down 77 percent from ...4Vatican City ( Rome)1,300,000 (2020) (down 81 percent from ...
Criteria for inclusion. Major sources for this list are the Art Newspaper's annual exhibition and museum visitor figures, which includes only art museums; the TEA/AECOM Museum Index, which only includes museums in East Asia, Australia, Europe, and the United States, and museum statistics compiled by national agencies in countries not comprehensively covered by the first two sources, such as ...
People also ask
Which is the most visited art museum in the world?
Where are the museums in the United States?
Where is the largest art collection in the United States?
How many people visit a museum each year?
This article lists the most visited art museums in the world. This list of 100 is based on an attendance survey compiled by The Art Newspaper published in April 2013. The country with the highest number of visitors in the top 100 is the United Kingdom. The country with the most museums appearing in the list is the United States.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art. 1000 5th Ave, New York, NY 10028, USA. Get directions. Phone +1 212-535-7710. Web Visit website. Bordering NYC's Central Park, the Metropolitan Museum of Art is the largest museum in the United States, housing more than two million pieces in its permanent collection curated from Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East.
- Museum of Fine Arts Boston. 465 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA. Get directions. Phone +1 617-267-9300. Web Visit website. The more than 450,000 works of art that make up the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston make it one of the largest museums in the United States.
- Philadelphia Museum of Art. 2600 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy, Philadelphia, PA 19130, USA. Get directions. Phone +1 215-763-8100. Web Visit website. The Philadelphia Museum of Art is a museum of the old and the new and features one of the largest collection of American artworks found in the USA, next to its acquisition of important paintings by Cezanne, Manet, DuChamp, and Marisso.
- National Gallery of Art. Constitution Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20565, USA. Get directions. Phone +1 202-737-4215. Web Visit website. The National Gallery of Art, established in 1937, is the United States' national collection of fine art housed on the National Mall in Washington, DC.
- National Museum of Natural History - Washington, DC. National Museum of Natural History it is one of the most visited museums all over the world. Administered by the Smithsonian Institution, it was established way back in 1910.
- Museum of Modern Art - MOMA. Established in 1929, the Museum of Modern Art in New York is now known as one of the largest modern art museums in the world.
- Brooklyn Museum - A paradise for art-lovers. Brooklyn Museum of art is spread over 12 acres and ranks on top of the list of largest art museums in the USA.
- 9-11 Memorial Museum- An emotional experience. National September 11 Memorial & Museum located in the New York City commemorates the September 11, 2001, new york terrorist attack.
- National Gallery of Art – Washington, D.C. I know we said we weren’t ranking the museums. But you can’t create one of these lists without starting with the country’s preeminent art museum.
- The Frick Collection – New York City, N.Y. Located in Manhattan at the former Henry Clay Frick House, the collection is nowhere near the size of the National Gallery of Art.
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art – San Francisco, CA. A uniquely designed building in the heart of one of the country’s most beautiful cities, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art combines high-quality with a vast array of different shapes and sizes of art that make it such a reputable museum.
- Austin Museum of Digital Art – Austin, TX. One of the country’s best museums for celebrating digital art, you can’t actually visit the museum, but that shouldn’t stop you from taking time to examine their work on the Internet.