- Those who have left Catholicism outnumber those who have joined the Catholic Church by nearly a four-to-one margin. Overall, one-in-ten American adults (10.1%) have left the Catholic Church after having been raised Catholic, while only 2.6% of adults have become Catholic after having been raised something other than Catholic.
People also ask
Why do young Catholics leave the church?
Why do Christians leave the church?
Why do Catholics leave the Catholic Church?
Why I left Catholicism?
Jun 15, 2020 · We are leaving the Catholic Church because the pope is a pedophile. Francis is the AntiChrist. Not one penny to this evil. We all know now that we can have a personal relationship with God without the false teachings of organized churches.
Jan 11, 2020 · “Why I left the Church,” with reasons (excuses, rationalizations, attempted justifications) to follow. Although people have lots of personal reasons for leaving the Church, in the end, they don’t hold water. There’s never a good reason to leave the Church. By Barbara Case Speers
- Are you sure members of the Church hierarchy are worse than anyone else? When people cite the pedophilia scandals as a key reason for abandoning the Church, I worry that they're setting themselves up for deep disappointment.
- Are you sure your faith life would be better outside of the Church? Keep in mind that leaving the Catholic Church means leaving the sacraments — sacraments with real power, which are not available outside of the Church that Jesus founded.
- Are you sure the Church's teachings are wrong? There is a pervasive sense in modern culture that whatever spiritual tradition places the fewest moral restrictions on its adherents is most likely to be right.
- Are you sure the Church's doctrines aren't divinely inspired? In my own conversion to Catholicism I faced serious challenges, including the fact that I was diagnosed with a Deep Vein Thrombosis (blood clot in a major vein) which was caused by a genetic clotting disorder that's exacerbated by pregnancy.
Chicago Tribune via Yahoo
Attorney General Merrick Garland visits Chicago and says feds are targeting gun trafficking in cities that are ‘really suffering’
A day after Chicago saw a series of mass shootings in a matter of hours, U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland appeared in the city Thursday to meet with police and community ...
5 days ago
Chicago Tribune via Yahoo
On second day of visit, AG Merrick Garland meets with Chicago law enforcement to discuss gun trafficking strike force
In the second day of his Chicago visit, U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland met with top law enforcement officials Friday morning to discuss how they’re going to use a new ...
4 days ago
Mar 13, 2011 · Whether it’s simply a lack of Mass attendance or suffering from serious clergy abuse, there are many reasons we have left the Church. Here are some of the main reasons that Catholics have become Former Catholics: 1. You’ve left the Catholic faith without even realizing it—one day you just stop attending and never look back.
Aug 24, 2018 · I leave the Catholic Church in sorrow, but also hopeful that those damaged find justice and healing, that we will leave the children’s cry room in search of grace. Amanda Auchter is the author of The Wishing Tomb , winner of the 2013 PEN Center USA Literary Award for Poetry and the 2012 Perugia Press Book Award, and The Glass Crib , winner of ...
- Amanda Auchter
Apr 18, 2011 · The principal reasons given by people who leave the church to become Protestant are that their “spiritual needs were not being met” in the Catholic church (71 percent) and they “found a religion...
- Catholic theologians know next to nothing.
- The Catholic Church isn’t even historical.
- The Pope is devoid of fun.
- Literally nobody famous is Catholic.
- We tell people that the Bible is the basis of Christianity. “Jesus loves me, this I know. For the Bible tells me so.” It’s a line that many who grow up in the church know by heart, and it reflects a problem in modern American Christianity: many of us believe that the Bible is the foundation of our religion.
- They believe suffering disproves the existence of God. Renowned New Testament scholar Bart Ehrman says he lost his faith and embraced atheism because of suffering in the world.
- They had a bad church experience. Most bad church experiences are the result of somebody prioritizing a view over a you – something Jesus never did and instructed us not to do either.
- We’re bad at making people feel welcome. It wasn’t just his message that made Jesus irresistible. It was Jesus himself. People who were nothing like him, liked him.