Yahoo Web Search

      • Poison ivy rash is a type of allergic contact dermatitis caused by an oily resin called urushiol. It's found in the leaves, stems and roots of poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. This resin is very sticky, so it easily attaches to your skin, clothing, tools, equipment and pet's fur.,your%20skin%2C%20clothing%2C%20tools%2C%20equipment%20and%20pet%27s%20fur.
  1. People also ask

    What does poison ivy rash look like on skin?

    Is poison sumac poisonous?

    What causes red rash on top of poison ivy plant?

    What are the symptoms of Poison Ivy in America?

  2. Urushiol-induced contact dermatitis - Wikipedia

    Urushiol-induced contact dermatitis is a type of allergic contact dermatitis caused by the oil urushiol found in various plants, most notably species of the genus Toxicodendron: poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, and the Chinese lacquer tree. The name is derived from the Japanese word for the sap of the Chinese lacquer tree, urushi. Other plants in the sumac family also contain urushiol, as do unrelated plants such as Ginkgo biloba. As is the case with all contact dermatitis, urushiol-induced

  3. Toxicodendron radicans - Wikipedia

    Toxicodendron radicans, commonly known as eastern poison ivy or poison ivy, is an allergenic Asian and Eastern North American flowering plant in the genus Toxicodendron. The species is well-known for causing urushiol-induced contact dermatitis , an itchy, irritating, and sometimes painful rash, in most people who touch it.

  4. Poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) is a vine. It is well-known for causing a rash. The rash is urushiol -induced contact dermatitis. This is itchy, irritating, and sometimes painful.

  5. Contact dermatitis - Wikipedia

    3-year-old girl with contact dermatitis, one day after contact with poison ivy Allergic contact dermatitis (ACD) is accepted to be the most prevalent form of immunotoxicity found in humans, and is a common occupational and environmental health problem. [11]

  6. Toxicodendron vernix - Wikipedia

    The differences in toxicity in poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are due to differences in the side chains of the chemicals in these plants. In general, poison ivy has a C 15 side chain, poison oak has a C 17 side chain and poison sumac has a C 13 side chain. The dermatitis shows itself in painful and long continued swellings and eruptions.

  7. Poison Ivy (character) - Wikipedia

    Poison Ivy (Dr. Pamela Lillian Isley (/ ˈ aɪ z l i /) is a fictional supervillain appearing in comic books published by DC Comics, commonly in Batman stories. Poison Ivy was created by Robert Kanigher and Sheldon Moldoff, and made her debut in Batman #181 (June 1966).

  8. Poison ivy rash - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic
    • Overview
    • Symptoms
    • Causes
    • Risk Factors
    • Complications
    • Prevention

    Poison ivy rash is caused by an allergic reaction to an oily resin called urushiol (u-ROO-she-ol). This oil is in the leaves, stems and roots of poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac.Wash your skin right away if you come into contact with this oil, unless you know you're not sensitive to it. Washing off the oil may reduce your chances of getting a poison ivy rash. If you develop a rash, it can be very itchy and last for weeks.You can treat mild cases of poison ivy rash at home with soothing...

    Signs and symptoms of a poison ivy rash include: 1. Redness 2. Itching 3. Swelling 4. Blisters 5. Difficulty breathing, if you've inhaled the smoke from burning poison ivyOften the rash looks like a straight line because of the way the plant brushes against your skin. But if you come into contact with a piece of clothing or pet fur that has urushiol on it, the rash may be more spread out. You can also transfer the oil to other parts of your body with your fingers. The reaction usually develop...

    Poison ivy rash is a type of allergic contact dermatitis caused by an oily resin called urushiol. It's found in the leaves, stems and roots of poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. This resin is very sticky, so it easily attaches to your skin, clothing, tools, equipment and pet's fur. You can get a poison ivy reaction from: 1. Direct touch. If you touch the leaves, stem, roots or berries of the plant, you may have a reaction. 2. Touching contaminated objects. If you walk through some poiso...

    Outdoor activities such as the following can put you at higher risk for exposure to poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac: 1. Farming 2. Forestry 3. Landscaping 4. Gardening 5. Firefighting 6. Construction 7. Camping 8. Fishing from the shoreline or hunting 9. Cable or telephone line installation

    If you scratch a poison ivy rash, bacteria under your fingernails may cause the skin to become infected. See your doctor if pus starts oozing from the blisters. Treatment generally includes antibiotics.

    To prevent poison ivy rash, follow these tips: 1. Avoid the plants. Learn how to identify poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac in all seasons. When hiking or engaging in other activities that might expose you to these plants, try to stay on cleared pathways. If camping, make sure you pitch your tent in an area free of these plants. Keep pets from running through wooded areas so that urushiol doesn't accidentally stick to their fur, which you then may touch. 2. Wear protective clothing. If...

  9. Poison ivy, oak, and sumac: How to treat the rash

    A rash from poison ivy, poison oak or poison sumac is caused by an oil found in these plants called urushiol. When this oil touches your skin, it often causes an itchy, blistering rash. Most people can safely treat the rash at home.

  10. Poison ivy rash - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic
    • Diagnosis
    • Treatment
    • Lifestyle and Home Remedies
    • Preparing For Your Appointment

    You generally won't need to see your doctor for a poison ivy rash. If you do visit your doctor, he or she will be able to diagnose your rash by looking at it. No further testing is needed.

    Poison ivy treatments are usually limited to self-care methods. And the rash typically goes away on its own in two to three weeks.If the rash is widespread or results in a large number of blisters, your doctor may prescribe an oral corticosteroid, such as prednisone. If a bacterial infection has developed at the rash site, your doctor may give you a prescription for an oral antibiotic.

    A poison ivy rash will eventually go away on its own. But the itching can be hard to deal with and make it difficult to sleep. If you scratch your blisters, they may become infected. Here are some steps you can take to help control the itching: 1. Apply an over-the-counter corticosteroid cream for the first few days. 2. Apply calamine lotion. 3. Take oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl, others), which may also help you sleep better. 4. Soak in a cool-water bath containing a...

    You probably won't need medical treatment for a poison ivy rash unless it spreads widely, persists for more than a few weeks or becomes infected. If you're concerned, you'll probably first see your primary care doctor. He or she might refer you to a doctor who specializes in skin disorders (dermatologist).

  11. Poison Ivy Rash: Pictures, Remedies, Prevention & More

    Poison ivy rash is caused by contact with poison ivy, a plant that grows almost everywhere in the United States. The sap of the poison ivy plant, also known as Toxicodendron radicans, contains an...