Toxicodendron radicans, commonly known as eastern poison ivy or poison ivy, is an allergenic Asian and Eastern North American flowering plant in the genus Toxicodendron.The species is well-known for causing urushiol-induced contact dermatitis, an itchy, irritating, and sometimes painful rash, in most people who touch it.
Urushiol-induced contact dermatitis (also called Toxicodendron dermatitis or Rhus dermatitis) is a type of allergic contact dermatitis caused by the oil urushiol found in various plants, most notably species of the genus Toxicodendron: poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, and the Chinese lacquer tree.
- Risk Factors
Poison ivy rash is caused by an allergic reaction to an oily resin called urushiol (u-ROO-she-ol). This oil is in the leaves, stems and roots of poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac.Wash your skin right away if you come into contact with this oil, unless you know you're not sensitive to it. Washing off the oil may reduce your chances of getting a poison ivy rash. If you develop a rash, it can be very itchy and last for weeks.You can treat mild cases of poison ivy rash at home with soothing...
Signs and symptoms of a poison ivy rash include: 1. Redness 2. Itching 3. Swelling 4. Blisters 5. Difficulty breathing, if you've inhaled the smoke from burning poison ivyOften the rash looks like a straight line because of the way the plant brushes against your skin. But if you come into contact with a piece of clothing or pet fur that has urushiol on it, the rash may be more spread out. You can also transfer the oil to other parts of your body with your fingers. The reaction usually develop...
Poison ivy rash is a type of allergic contact dermatitis caused by an oily resin called urushiol. It's found in the leaves, stems and roots of poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. This resin is very sticky, so it easily attaches to your skin, clothing, tools, equipment and pet's fur. You can get a poison ivy reaction from: 1. Direct touch. If you touch the leaves, stem, roots or berries of the plant, you may have a reaction. 2. Touching contaminated objects. If you walk through some poiso...
Outdoor activities such as the following can put you at higher risk for exposure to poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac: 1. Farming 2. Forestry 3. Landscaping 4. Gardening 5. Firefighting 6. Construction 7. Camping 8. Fishing from the shoreline or hunting 9. Cable or telephone line installation
If you scratch a poison ivy rash, bacteria under your fingernails may cause the skin to become infected. See your doctor if pus starts oozing from the blisters. Treatment generally includes antibiotics.
To prevent poison ivy rash, follow these tips: 1. Avoid the plants. Learn how to identify poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac in all seasons. When hiking or engaging in other activities that might expose you to these plants, try to stay on cleared pathways. If camping, make sure you pitch your tent in an area free of these plants. Keep pets from running through wooded areas so that urushiol doesn't accidentally stick to their fur, which you then may touch. 2. Wear protective clothing. If...
Poison Ivy is an erotic thriller film series that consists of four films. The first three films in the series deal with the implications of an emotionally neglected, sexually assertive young woman's fascination with her best friend's father, and how her desire for him affects multiple individuals who fall under her influence.
Watch for an itchy red rash line 24-48 hours after you contact poison ivy. The rash might appear earlier if you contact a lot of the urushiol oil. You'll only have a rash where the plant's oil touched your skin, so it often appears in a line. In most cases, the rash will last for about 2-3 days. X Trustworthy Source Mayo Clinic Educational website from one of the world's leading hospitals ...Check for rash splotches if a contaminated pet or item touched you. The oil from a poison ivy plant can linger on your pet's fur or on clothing that came in contact with the plant. Unfortunately, this oil can cause rashes. If you suspect your pet or other items have contacted poison ivy, look for a splotchy red rash on the affected area. X Trustworthy Source Mayo Clinic Educational website ...Watch for blisters and swelling around the affected area. Blisters are normal with poison ivy rashes, and their size can vary from pin-sized to dime-sized. Your blisters may pop and release a clear fluid, but this is normal and won't spread your rash. You'll also have inflammation as a result of the rash, which can cause swelling. X Trustworthy Source Mayo Clinic Educational website from ...You can avoid getting poison ivy rashes by wearing long pants and high socks while you're hiking. Thanks! Helpful 3 Not Helpful 3Scratching will make your poison ivy worse. It can even cause it to spread! If you or your child are tempted to scratch a rash, wear mittens. You might also lightly cover the rash with sterile gauze. Thanks! Helpful 7 Not Helpful 10Never burn poison ivy plants, as the smoke can cause serious lung issues. If you've been around burning poison ivy, see your doctor immediately. Thanks! Helpful 1 Not Helpful 2In most cases, you can treat poison ivy at home. However, see your doctor immediately if you experience a rash on your face or genitals, blisters that ooze pus (yellowish fluid), fever above 100 °F (38 °C), and/or a rash that persists. X Trustworthy Source Mayo Clinic Educational website from one of the world's leading hospitals Go to source Thanks! Helpful 0 Not Helpful 0
Apr 17, 2019 · Poison ivy. Poison ivy rash is caused by contact with poison ivy, a plant that grows almost everywhere in the United States. The sap of the poison ivy plant, also known as Toxicodendron radicans ...
People also ask
What is a poison ivy reaction?
How does Poison Ivy effect the body?
How bad does poison ivy itch?
How long does Poison Ivy scarring?
A rash from poison ivy, poison oak or poison sumac is caused by an oil found in these plants called urushiol. When this oil touches your skin, it often causes an itchy, blistering rash. Most people can safely treat the rash at home.
Type of contact dermatitisCaused by Urashiols found in the sap of the plant.
- Differential Diagnosis
- See Also
Febrile 1. Diffuse distribution 1.1. Varicella 1.2. Smallpox 1.3. Disseminated gonococcal disease 1.4. DIC 1.5. Purpural fulminans 2. Localized distribution 2.1. Necrotizing fasciitis 2.2. Hand-foot-and-mouth disease Afebrile 1. Diffuse distribution 1.1. Bullous pemphigoid 1.2. Drug-Induced bullous disorders 1.3. Pemphigus vulgaris 1.4. Phytophotodermatitis 1.5. Erythema multiformemajor 1.6. Bullous impetigo 2. Localized distribution 2.1. Contact dermatitis 2.2. Herpes zoster 2.3. Dyshidrotic...
1. Soothing measure options: 1.1. Oatmeal baths 1.2. Cool, wet compresses 1.3. Ice packs 1.4. Topical menthol and phenol (calamine lotion) compounds 1.5. Topical astringents under occlusion dressing to dry weeping lesions 1.5.1. Aluminum acetate (Burow's solution) 1.5.2. Aluminum sulfate calcium acetate (Domeboro) 1.6. Soap mixture of ethoxylate and sodium lauroyl sarcosinate surfactants (Zanfel) 2. Oral antihistamines 2.1. Occasionally used, primarily for sedating effect (itching in poison i...
1. Topical antihistamines 2. Anesthetics containing benzocaine 3. Antibiotics containing neomycin or bacitracin
Mar 05, 2020 · A poison ivy rash can easily spread by simply scratching or touching. If you've come into contact with poison ivy or have a rash, do not touch anywhere around your eyes, mouth, or genitals. All parts of a poison ivy plant (even dead plants) contain an oily allergen called urushiol.
- Lifestyle and Home Remedies
- Preparing For Your Appointment
You generally won't need to see your doctor for a poison ivy rash. If you do visit your doctor, he or she will be able to diagnose your rash by looking at it. No further testing is needed.
Poison ivy treatments are usually limited to self-care methods. And the rash typically goes away on its own in two to three weeks.If the rash is widespread or results in a large number of blisters, your doctor may prescribe an oral corticosteroid, such as prednisone. If a bacterial infection has developed at the rash site, your doctor may give you a prescription for an oral antibiotic.
A poison ivy rash will eventually go away on its own. But the itching can be hard to deal with and make it difficult to sleep. If you scratch your blisters, they may become infected. Here are some steps you can take to help control the itching: 1. Apply an over-the-counter corticosteroid cream for the first few days. 2. Apply calamine lotion. 3. Take oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl, others), which may also help you sleep better. 4. Soak in a cool-water bath containing a...
You probably won't need medical treatment for a poison ivy rash unless it spreads widely, persists for more than a few weeks or becomes infected. If you're concerned, you'll probably first see your primary care doctor. He or she might refer you to a doctor who specializes in skin disorders (dermatologist).