Psychedelic rock, also referred to as psychedelia, is a diverse style of rock music inspired, influenced, or representative of psychedelic culture, which is centred on perception-altering hallucinogenic drugs. The music is intended to replicate and enhance the mind-altering experiences of psychedelic drugs, most notably LSD. Many psychedelic groups differ in style, and the label is often applied spuriously.
- Mid 1960s, United States and United Kingdom
- Rock, psychedelia, folk, jazz, blues, electronic, novelty music, surf, Indian, Middle Eastern
People also ask
What are some examples of psychedelic rock?
When did psychedelic music become popular?
Where was psychedelic rock first made?
What genre of music is krautrock?
From Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Psychedelic rock is a style of rock music. It was very popular in the 1960s when it started, and still has many fans today. It was first made in San Francisco, but it also was made in other cities such as New York City, and in other countries including England.
- Backbeat, Distortion, Rock band, Electric guitar, Electric bass, Rhythm section, Drum kit
- Origins of rock and roll, Electronics in rock music, Social effects, Rock Against Communism, Rock Against Racism, Rock Against Sexism, Rock music and the fall of communism, Rockism and poptimism, Women in rock
- 1950s, Instrumental rock, Latin rock, Pop rock, Rock and roll, British, Rockabilly, 1960s, Acid rock, Anatolian rock, Art rock, Baroque rock, Beat music, Blues rock, Boogie rock, Christian rock, Comedy rock, Country rock, Electronic rock, Experimental rock, Folk rock, Flamenco rock, Garage rock, Hard rock, Heavy metal, Jam, Jazz rock, Krautrock, Power pop, Progressive rock, Psychedelic rock, Raga rock, Roots rock, Samba rock, Southern rock, Space rock, Surf music, 1970s, Arena rock, Cock rock, Dance-rock, Funk rock, Glam rock, Gothic rock, Heartland rock, Ostrock, Post-progressive, Pub rock (United Kingdom), Pub rock (Australia), Punk rock, Soft rock, Visual kei, Yacht rock, 1980s, Alternative rock, Rap rock, Trop rock, 1990s, Stoner rock, Sufi rock, Viking rock
- Active rock, Adult album alternative, Album-oriented rock, Classic rock, Mainstream rock, Modern rock, Progressive rock (radio format)
The following is a list of artists considered to be general purveyors of the psychedelic rock genre. 1960s–early 1970s 0–E. The 13th Floor Elevators; Aguaturbia ...
Psychedelic rock declined towards the end of the 1960s, as bands broke up or moved into new forms of music, including heavy metal music and progressive rock. Like the psychedelic developments of the late 1960s, punk rock and new wave in the 1970s challenged the rock music establishment.
Many psychedelic, folk rock and early progressive bands were aided by exposure from BBC Radio 1 DJ John Peel. Jimi Hendrix, who rose to prominence in the London scene and recorded with a band of English musicians, initiated the trend towards guitar virtuosity and eccentricity in rock music.
Psychedelic rock described the experiences of taking illegal drugs such as marijuana and LSD and often encouraged people to take illegal drugs. Psychedelic rock bands included Big Brother & the Holding Company, Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead,  Jimi Hendrix, The Byrds, Pink Floyd, and The Doors.
Roots rock is the term now used to describe a move away from what some saw as the excesses of the psychedelic scene, to a more basic form of rock and roll that incorporated its original influences, particularly country and folk music, leading to the creation of country rock and Southern rock.
It began in the mid-1960s with the garage, psychedelic and blues rock movements. Hard rock developed into a major form of popular music in the 1970s, with bands such as the Who, Boston, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Kiss, Queen, AC/DC and Van Halen.
Grupi The Byrds, duke luajtur këngën e Bob Dylan "Mr. Tambourine Man", ndihmuan në zhvillimin e tendencës Folk rock dhe stimuluan krijimin e Psychedelic Rock. Ndërkohë Dylan vazhdoi, me këngën "Like a rolling stone" që kapi majat e klasifikimeve në tabelat amerikane.