People also ask
What are the names of the cities in South Africa?
Which are the most populated cities in South Africa?
What are the best places to visit in South Africa?
What is the safest city in South Africa?
This is a list of selected cities, towns, and other populated places in South Africa, ordered alphabetically by province. ( See also city; urban planning .) Eastern Cape Alice Butterworth East London Graaff-Reinet Grahamstown King William’s Town Mthatha Port Elizabeth Queenstown Uitenhage Zwelitsha Free State Bethlehem Bloemfontein Jagersfontein
- Cape Town[SEE MAP] The most visited city in the country is achingly beautiful to behold, thanks to the glistening waters that lie before it and the iconic Table Mountain that forms such a stunning backdrop.
- Durban[SEE MAP] The third largest city in South Africa is a bustling place, thanks in part to its gigantic port – the largest in Africa. Much has changed in recent decades – the end of apartheid saw the city welcome many nearby Kwa-Zulu residents, who now make Durban one of the most African cities in the country.
- Johannesburg[SEE MAP] With around ten million residents, Johannesburg is the largest city in South Africa and is the economic heart of sub-Saharan Africa.
- Pretoria[SEE MAP] Lying just fifty kilometers from Johannesburg, the executive capital of the country, Pretoria, is a pretty place to wander around. Its leafy streets are lined with some delightful old architecture.
- Johannesburg - 4.4 Million
- Cape Town – 3.7 Million
- Ethekwini – 3.4 Million
- Ekurhuleni – 3.1 Million
- Tshwane – 2.9 Million
Johannesburg is the largest city in South Africa with a population of 4.4 million. It is located in Gauteng Province. It houses South Africa’s constitutional court, and it is a major finance center in the country. With the discovery of an outcrop of a gold reef on the farm Langlaagte in 1886 by George Harrison, Johannesburg was established and cont...
Cape Town is a beautiful coastal city in South Africa that is full of life and energy and has a population of 3.7 million people. Cape Town is the seat of the National Parliament or the Legislative capital of the country. Cape Town is full of recreational activities. Tourists flock to admire and give an account of this town’s valuables natural and ...
Ethekwini is technically what is known as a "metropolitan municipality" in South Africa. Ethekwini includes the sizeable cities of Durban, Umlazi, Chatsworth, and Kwa-Mashu. Durban is well known for being the busiest port in South Africa. Durban is known for its warm subtropical climate, extensive beaches, and the Golden Mile making it a popular de...
Like Ethekwini, Ekurhuleni is also a metropolitan municipality. The largest cities within Ekurhuleni are Katlehong, Tembisa, and Boksburg. Ekurhuleni is found in South Africa's Gauteng province. The area experiences dry winters and warm summer months.
Tshwane is a metropolitan municipality in South Africa. When combined, all of its cities amount to make it the fifth largest city in the country. The largest cities within Tshwane include Pretoria, Soshanguve, Mamelodi, and Centurion. Pretoria is the seat of the administrative government of South Africa.
- South African Cities – A Complete List
- Update – 19 September 2015
- South African Cities on Github: Update – 3 June 2017
- Google Maps Geocoding API Address Validator – 17 July 2017
- Update – 27 December 2018
I have had to massage the data somewhat with doing some fancy SQL footwork. What I have ended up with is a list of SA Cities along with their provinces and Longitude and Latitude coordinates. You can download the files from the links below. CSV File Zipped RPT File Excel File SA Cities MSSQL Database RAR SA Cities MSSQL Database 7 Zip Lastly, if yo...
Thanks to Charles Crous that made me aware of a possible error that exists for the GPS coordinates of Tweespruit in the Free State. Google reports the coordinates as 29.1856° S, 27.0289° E and not as defined in the list.
I have added the files to a GitHub repository. If you would like to add to the database, making it better, please grab it from GitHub and contribute.
I have created a small C# project that uses the free* Google API to validate an address. Check it out on GitHub. * Free – Limited to 2,500 free requests per day.
There is another site that I recently found that has a list of South African cities. That list is released under an MIT license.
The Municipalities of South Africa as of 2016 This is a list of municipalities of South Africa. The largest metropolitan areas are governed by metropolitan municipalities, while the rest of the country is divided into district municipalities, each of which consists of several local municipalities.