U.S. House of Representatives. Washington, D.C. – Speaker Nancy Pelosi held her weekly press conference today in the Capitol Visitor Center.
The House elects a new speaker by roll call vote when it first convenes after a general election for its two-year term, or when a speaker dies, resigns or is removed from the position intra-term. A majority of votes cast (as opposed to a majority of the full membership of the House) is necessary to elect a speaker. 
18 Elected Speaker on January 10, 1962, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Speaker Samuel Rayburn. 19 Resigned as Speaker of the House of Representatives on June 6, 1989. 20 Elected Speaker on June 6, 1989, to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Speaker James Wright, Jr.
Pelosi’s deputy chief of staff and longtime spokesperson Drew Hammill took the photo and shared it on Twitter on Jan. 13. “The
USA TODAY via Yahoo News
24 hours ago
- Nancy Pelosi twists knife calling Trump ‘unworthy to be president’ and ‘stain on our country’ as he exits White HouseThe Independent via Yahoo News2 days ago
- Pelosi says Congress members may face prosecution if an investigation shows they were accomplices in Capitol siegeBusiness Insider via Yahoo News6 days ago
- Illinois' Rep. Emanuel 'Chris' Welch Is the State's First Black Speaker of the House, but Past Allegations Cast a ShadowThe Root via Yahoo News7 days ago
- A 22-year-old woman accused of stealing Pelosi's laptop and planning to sell it to Russia has been arrestedBusiness Insider via Yahoo News2 days ago
- Speaker Pelosi: Trump could be "accessory" to murder over deadly insurrectionAxios via Yahoo News1 day ago
- Nancy Pelosi tells Trump to 'man up' and admit he lost election to Joe BidenYahoo TV via AOL1 day ago
- Woman who 'took laptop' from Pelosi's office in Capitol riot 'planned to sell it to Russian spies'The Telegraph via Yahoo News3 days ago
- House Security Chief Said Optics Played Role In Denying Early Request For National GuardHuffPost via Yahoo News2 days ago
- What we know about the laptop that was stolen from Nancy Pelosi's aide during the Capitol siegeBusiness Insider via Yahoo News2 days ago
The Speaker is elected by the current members of the House. The person with the most votes becomes Speaker. The current Speaker is Democrat Nancy Pelosi of California.
Jul 27, 2019 · The Speaker of the House is designated by Article I, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution as the highest-ranking member of the House of Representatives. The Speaker of the House is second in the line of presidential succession, after the Vice President.
First Speaker of the House: Frederick A.C. Muhlenberg of Pennsylvania was elected presiding officer on April 1, 1789, the day the House organized itself during the First Federal Congress (1789–1791). Total number of Speakers:To date, 54 individuals have served as Speaker of the House of Representatives.Longest-serving Speaker of the House:Samuel Rayburn of Texas served as Speaker for a total ...
Jan 12, 2021 · The video shows House clerk Joe Novotny, reading a letter from Pelosi that appoints Rep. Deborah Dingell, D-Mich., as "speaker pro tempore," a short-term assignment that is normal procedure when ...
The Speaker is elected by the members of the House at the beginning of each new Congress. The Speaker from the previous Congress might want the job again, but not be elected. Every seat in the House is up for election every two years. Any incumbent, including the Speaker, can lose his or her election.
Rep. Nancy Pelosi Elected by the whole of the House of Representatives, the Speaker acts as leader of the House and combines several roles: the institutional role of presiding officer and administrative head of the House, the role of leader of the majority party in the House, and the representative role of an elected member of the House.