- 1. the particular condition that someone or something is in at a specific time: "the state of the company's finances" synonyms
- 2. a nation or territory considered as an organized political community under one government: "Germany, Italy, and other European states" synonyms
- 1. of, provided by, or concerned with the civil government of a country: "the future of state education"
- 2. used or done on ceremonial occasions; involving the ceremony associated with a head of state: "a state visit to Hungary by Queen Elizabeth"
- 1. express something definitely or clearly in speech or writing: "the report stated that more than 51 percent of voters failed to participate"
- 2. present or introduce (a theme or melody) in a composition.
Powered by Oxford Dictionaries