- 1. the particular condition that someone or something is in at a specific time: "the state of the company's finances" Similar
- 2. a nation or territory considered as an organized political community under one government: "Germany, Italy, and other European states" Similar
- 1. of, provided by, or concerned with the civil government of a country: "the future of state education"
- 2. used or done on ceremonial occasions; involving the ceremony associated with a head of state: "a state visit to Hungary by Queen Elizabeth"
- 1. express something definitely or clearly in speech or writing: "the report stated that more than 51 percent of voters failed to participate"
- 2. present or introduce (a theme or melody) in a composition.
Powered by Oxford Dictionaries
People also ask
What is State vs Nation?
What does your state mean?
What are the four characteristics of a state?
What is to state something mean?
- A state is a territory with its own institutions and populations.
- A sovereign state is a state with its own institutions and populations that has a permanent population, territory, and government. ...
- A nation is a large group of people who inhabit a specific territory and are connected by history, culture, or another commonality.
Definition of state. (Entry 1 of 2) 1 a : mode or condition of being a state of readiness. b (1) : condition of mind or temperament in a highly nervous state. (2) : a condition of abnormal tension or excitement.
state - a state of depression or agitation; "he was in such a state you just couldn't reason with him" colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech1.state - the territory occupied by ...2.state - the way something is with ...3.state - the group of people ...4.state - a politically organized body ...5.state - (chemistry) the three ...
state meaning: 1. a condition or way of being that exists at a particular time: 2. the present situation: 3. a…. Learn more.
State definition, the condition of a person or thing, as with respect to circumstances or attributes: a state of health. See more.
State, political organization of society, or the body politic, or, more narrowly, the institutions of government. The state is a form of human association distinguished from other social groups by its purpose, the establishment of order and security; its methods, the laws and their enforcement; its territory, the area of jurisdiction or geographic boundaries; and finally by its sovereignty.
A state is a polity under a system of governance with a monopoly on force. There is no undisputed definition of a state. A widely used definition from the German sociologist Max Weber is that a "state" is a polity that maintains a monopoly on the legitimate use of violence, although other definitions are not uncommon.
1 a body of people composed of one or more nationalities usually with its own territory and government the British monarch is the head of state, while the prime minister is the head of the government