Top 20 Action Movies of 2016. Not a remarkable year but a solid year for action buffs. 1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) Error: please try again. In a time of conflict, a group of unlikely heroes band together on a mission to steal the plans to the Death Star, the Empire's ultimate weapon of destruction.
Best-Reviewed Action Movies 2016 This year’s best includes an eclectic mix, from old west showdowns to extraordinary true stories. The order of the list reflects the scores as of December 31, 2016, but the number displayed on the Adjusted Tomatometer may change as more reviews keep getting added after the end of the year.
- The Magnificent Seven. Westerns have slowly been making a comeback over the last few years, but while there have been several great ones they typically focus the action in small bursts.
- The Jungle Book. Some might not consider this much of an action film, but I’d argue its photo-realistic CG in combination with some physical reality delivers several exciting and intense sequences.
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. As smarter people than myself have pointed out, this is the first Star Wars movie to address the fact that it’s about war.
- Hardcore Henry. The inclusion of this first-person POV POS movie on this list in no way validates it as a good movie, but it still deserves praise for much of its action.
Jun 24, 2021 · The best 2016 action movies brought in millions at the box office while offering movie goers an array of special effects and thrilling stunts. This is a list of the best action movies of 2016 featuring everything from X-Men Apocalypse to Criminal to Star Trek Beyond.
Jan 06, 2017 · Captain America: Civil War. Your votes have been counted, and the People's Choice winner for BEST ACTION MOVIE OF 2016 is Captain America: Civil War. Thanks for voting! Captain America: Civil War
- Captain America: Civil War. ‘Captain America’ has been the most successful character in the Marvel Universe in terms of stand-alone movies. ‘ Civil War’ was no different in terms of its quality and story-line.
- Deadpool. Superhero movies ruled the roster in 2016. ‘ Deadpool’ was no different and proved to be on par with its expectations of us. Ryan Reynolds’ quirky and hilariously satiric turn as the masked superhero garnered rave reviews and set the box office on fire.
- Rogue One. Felicity Jones is an underrated performer. And she furthered that notion with yet another stunning and ignored performance in ‘Rogue One’. The film is another one of Star Wars franchise and tells the origin story and subsequent challenge with the empire of Jyn.
- 13 Hours. John Krasinski has certainly lost the Jim in him and transformed into a desirous beast. ’ 13 Hours’ was the surprise of 2016. The gritty and arid plains of Libya become the setting as six special operative fight to defend America’s treasure from terrorists and mercenaries.
- The Magnificent Seven. There are a lot of dividing aspects to Antoine Fuqua’s remake of The Magnificent Seven, and its failings at the box office department probably cost us a few great revisionist Westerns that could have come, but you can’t deny that the director created an exciting action romp out of the 1960 classic.
- Jason Bourne. Jason Bourne is nowhere near as good as Paul Greengrass’ two other forays into the franchise, so it’s telling that it still made its way to this list.
- Doctor Strange. There’s very little physical contact in Doctor Strange’s epic magic showdowns, but Industrial Light & Magic and Scott Derrickson’s spectacular work on the visual effects makes up for it.
- Hardcore Henry. Around de 1 hour mark (or earlier, depending on what your tolerance is), Hardcore Henry’s gamble on first-person action starts to grow tiring.