The Top 8 Things to See and Do in Mainz, Germany
- Gutenberg Museum. The Gutenberg Museum is dedicated to the legendary Johann Gutenberg, who revolutionized the concept of publishing by inventing the moveable metal type printing technique in the 15th century.
- St. Stephan's Church. ...
- Museum of Ancient Navigation. ...
People also ask
What to do in Mainz, Germany?
What is Germany's wine capital?
What is there to see in Frankfurt Germany?
What is the oldest house in Germany?
Book your tickets online for the top things to do in Mainz, Germany on Tripadvisor: See 6,748 traveler reviews and photos of Mainz tourist attractions. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in October. We have reviews of the best places to see in Mainz. Visit top-rated & must-see attractions.
- Mainz Cathedral. With a millennium of history in its walls, Mainz’s immense sandstone cathedral radiates religious and political power. The design is still mostly Romanesque from the High Middle Ages, but there’s also some Gothic and Baroque design in the chapels and roof.
- Gutenberg Museum. The Gutenberg Museum was inaugurated in 1900 on the 500th anniversary of Johannes Gutenberg’s birth, and in 1927 moved into the delightful Renaissance townhouse, “Zum Römischen Kaiser” across the way from the cathedral.
- Markt. The largest of the four squares around the cathedral, Markt is on the north side and developed with the cathedral in the 10th century. There’s a market trading here on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday mornings.
- Stephanskirche. Atop the highest hill in the old city, Stephanskirche was founded in 990 and has mostly Gothic architecture from the 1300s. A later extension was the beautiful Gothic cloister, added in the 15th century, with marvellous vaults on its south wall.
Things to Do in Mainz, Germany: See Tripadvisor's 6,701 traveler reviews and photos of Mainz attractions.
Jan 27, 2018 · Mainz Cathedral. The imposing six-towered structure of Mainz Cathedral stands sentinel to centuries of history and soars over the city of Mainz.It is not only one of the most celebrated Romanesque religious architecture in Germany, but is also a hub of immense religious and political power.
- Anwesha Ray
Book your tickets online for the top things to do in Mainz, Germany on Tripadvisor: See 6,746 traveller reviews and photos of Mainz tourist attractions. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in October. We have reviews of the best places to see in Mainz. Visit top-rated & must-see attractions.
- Georgie Jet
- Take the DB Bahn (train) from Frankfurt and drink German beer in the food cart and converse with the locals. Look for all the grapes growing slopeside on the way to Mainz, situated between the Rheingau and the Rhein-Hesse, the two major wine growing regions of Germany.
- Germans celebrate Christmas all December long with Christmas markets set in Mainz’s Market Square, next to the historic St. Martin’s Dome. Each town has its own recipe for hot mulled wine (called Gluhwein) and gingerbread, as well.
- Gutenberg Museum is named for Johannes Gutenberg, who invented the printing press with movable metal types. Our guide Brian Hauck with Historic Germany, an American born of German descent and now officially German, gave us a demo.
- Drink Riesling in the official “wine capital of Germany” next to the Rhine. We learned all about the different types and grades of Riesling at two restaurants.
Top Places to Visit in Mainz, Germany: See Tripadvisor's 6,746 traveller reviews and photos of Mainz attractions.
Things to Do in Mainz with Kids . There are lots of sensational experiences in Mainz that the entire gang will enjoy. These are a few of the most popular family friendly experiences in the area. Mainz Private Walking Tour; Frankfurt Hop-On Hop-Off Tour; Escape Game Outdoor: The Magic Portal Level 3/5; 7 Day Rail Tour - Germany
Things to Do in Mainz-Kastel, Germany: See Tripadvisor's 35 traveler reviews and photos of Mainz-Kastel tourist attractions. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in October. We have reviews of the best places to see in Mainz-Kastel. Visit top-rated & must-see attractions.
Top Mainz Points of Interest & Landmarks: See reviews and photos of points of interest & landmarks in Mainz, Germany on Tripadvisor.