Lobster and Chicken. Source: Woks of Life. The pairing of dragon and phoenix in Chinese mythology represents the union of male and female, or yin and yang energy. In Chinese cuisine, lobster represents the dragon and chicken the phoenix. When served together, they represent the couple’s blissful union.
- The Betrothal. Known as the Guo Da Li, before the wedding ceremony the groom will present betrothal gifts (gold jewelry, dragon and phoenix wax candles, tea leaves and sesame seeds, wine or brandy, etc.)
- Choosing the Wedding Date. The date of the wedding ceremony isn’t chosen by chance. “Many couples consult with a fortune teller, Chinese monk, or Feng Shui master to choose an auspicious date to bring success to their marriage,” shares Froelich.
- The Invitation. The Chinese wedding invitation is typically red with gold lettering and bears the Double Happiness symbol. Inside, it’ll include dates for the wedding banquet, order of birth, and names of the bride, groom, and respective parents.
- Preparing the Marriage Bed. The An Chuang usually takes place on an auspicious day and time, two to three days before the wedding. “This tradition is carried out by a female relative of good fortune—one with parents, husband, children, and grandchildren—where the bed will be dressed in new red color beddings and pillows with a mix of dried fruits and nuts such as longans, persimmons, and red dates,” explains Yu.
People also ask
What are the 15 customs of Chinese weddings?
What is the most popular food at a Chinese wedding?
What do you put on a Chinese wedding invitation?
What is the traditional gift for a Chinese wedding?
The most common question asked is what do you wear to a Chinese wedding. It’s safe to say don’t wear red. Most brides will have several outfit changes, with red being one of the dresses, if not the main one. Guests should avoid wearing red because this could be seen as upstaging the bride or competing for attention.
- Senior Editor, Weddings
- Double Happiness Symbol. Pronounced shuāngxǐ, the double happiness symbol is one of the most recognizable icons incorporated in Chinese weddings. "The Double Happiness character is very aptly named—it's made of two connected copies of the character xi, which means 'happiness.'
- Auspicious Colors. Red and gold are the two colors most frequently used in color palettes for Chinese weddings. "Across all of Chinese tradition, red is by far and large the most popular color at all major celebrations, including weddings," explains Valente.
- Gate Crashing and Door Games. "The beginning of the wedding ceremony often begins first with collecting the bride. The groom and his groomsmen will travel to the bride's house, where sometimes a tea ceremony is performed in order to pay homage to the bride's family, before everyone heads over to the groom's family's house for their own tea ceremony," explains Valente.
- Tea Ceremony. "The tea ceremony is one of the biggest components in a traditional Chinese wedding," explains Bishop. "Once this is done, it is a sign of marriage in the eyes of Chinese tradition.
Mar 04, 2021 · Made-to-order food stations are interesting to guests. They also allow for meal customization. Options to consider include omelets, stir-fries, waffles or pancakes, pasta, wraps, savory crepes, fresh tossed salads, paninis, kabobs, and baked potatoes. 2. Consider an ethnic menu rather than American.