great anteater: 1 n large shaggy-haired toothless anteater with long tongue and powerful claws; of South America Synonyms: Myrmecophaga jubata , ant bear , giant anteater , tamanoir Type of: New World anteater , anteater any of several tropical American mammals of the family Myrmecophagidae which lack teeth and feed on ants and termites
ant bear, giant anteater, great anteater, tamanoir, Myrmecophaga jubata (noun) large shaggy-haired toothless anteater with long tongue and powerful claws; of South America How to pronounce great anteater?
People also ask
What is a rare anteater?
What is an anteater hug?
How did the giant anteater get its name?
What is the giant anteater's habitat?
The giant anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla), also known as the ant bear, is an insectivorous mammal native to Central and South America.It is one of four living species of anteaters, the only extant member of the genus Myrmecophaga, and is classified with sloths in the order Pilosa.
Dictionary entry overview: What does great anteater mean? • GREAT ANTEATER (noun) The noun GREAT ANTEATER has 1 sense: 1. large shaggy-haired toothless anteater with long tongue and powerful claws; of South America Familiarity information: GREAT ANTEATER used as a noun is very rare.
Feb 27, 2020 · Anteaters are insectivores, meaning they prey on “social insects” including ants and termites. However, they also feast on soft fruit,s as well as beetle and bee larvae.
- How many species of anteater are there? There are four known species of anteaters: Advertisement. giant anteater (also known as the ant bear), Myrmecophaga tridactyla.
- How big is the giant anteater? Giant anteaters can reach up to 2m in length and weigh up to 55kg – on its hind legs, giant anteaters are taller than a grown man!
- What are giant anteaters related to? One of the closest relatives to the giant anteater is the pygmy sloth, who both shared a common ancestor over 55 million years ago!
- Where are giant anteaters found? Giant anteaters have been recorded from Central America through to Bolivia, Paraguay and Argentina, although in its Central American range it is greatly reduced and confined to highland regions.
Sentence Examples The great anteater is terrestrial in habits, not burrowing underground like armadillos.
- Look at this tongue. It's two feet long.
- They can do crazy things with this tongue.
- With a tongue like that anteaters don't need to bother with teeth.
- Giant anteaters are really good at what they do. They eat more than 35,000 ants and termites every day.
- Their tongues are ridiculous. They start at the anteater’s breastbone and can extend up to two feet long. Their tongues are also covered in backward-facing spines and super-sticky saliva for maximum bug collection.
- They’ve got no teeth.
- Their legs look like panda faces. Getty Images. Once you’ve seen it, you can’t unsee it. This patterning is part of the giant anteater’s protective coloration.
- They’ve got fistfuls of knives.