On 26 August 1938, the unit returned to its birthplace at RAF Netheravon, and on 1 September 1939 it was renamed No. 1 Service Flying Training School. It disbanded on 7 March 1942, when Netheravon was required for Army Cooperation Command use.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._1_Flying_Training_School_RAF
On 26 August 1938, the unit returned to its birthplace at RAF Netheravon, and on 1 September 1939 it was renamed No. 1 Service Flying Training School. It disbanded on 7 March 1942, when Netheravon was required for Army Cooperation Command use.
- Early Years
- World War II
- Cold War
No. 1 Flying Training School (No. 1 FTS) was the first unit to be formally established as part of the new Australian Air Force on 31 March 1921 (the term "Royal" was added in August that year). No. 1 FTS was formed from the remnants of Australia's original military flying unit, Central Flying School, at RAAF Point Cook, Victoria. Squadron Leader William Anderson, who was also in charge of the Point Cook base, was No. 1 FTS's first commanding officer.The school's initial complement of staff was twelve officers and 67 airmen. In December 1921, the Australian Air Board prepared to form its first five squadrons and allocate aircraft to each, as well as to the nascent flying school. The plan was for No. 1 FTS to receive twelve Avro 504Ks and four Sopwith Pups, and the squadrons a total of eight Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5s, eight Airco DH.9s, and three Fairey IIIs. Funding problems forced the Air Force to disband the newly raised squadrons on 1 July 1922 and re-form them as flights in a...
RAAF flying training was heavily reorganised soon after the outbreak of World War II, in response to Australia's participation in the Empire Air Training Scheme (EATS). Several elementary flying training schools were formed, to provide basic flight instruction to cadets; more advanced pilot instruction was to take place at service flying training schools. On 1 May 1940, No. 1 FTS was re-formed at Point Cook as No. 1 Service Flying Training School (No. 1 SFTS). Its inaugural commanding officer was Group Captain John Summers, who led Fighter Squadron in the early 1930s and had taken over No. 1 FTS in December 1939. The school's Instructors' Training Squadron was detached to become the nucleus of a re-formed Central Flying School, which relocated to Camden, New South Wales, in June.Courses at the service flying training schools consisted of two streams, intermediate and advanced; the total duration varied during the war as demand for aircrew fluctuated. Initially running for sixteen we...
On 1 March 1946, No. 5 Service Flying Training School at RAAF Station Uranquinty, New South Wales, was re-formed as No. 1 FTS, under Southern Area Command. Its complement of aircraft included one Anson, two Tiger Moths, and 55 Wirraways, though the unit was mainly responsible for the maintenance of equipment and little flying was undertaken apart from refresher courses for pilots posting to the British Commonwealth Occupation Force in Japan. By 1 September 1947, No. 1 FTS had transferred to Point Cook, initially as "Flying Training School", under Wing Commander Read. The RAAF's first post-war flying training course at the school consisted of 42 students and commenced in February 1948, finishing in August the following year. Flight grading took place after six months of general military training, at which point students were selected to be trainee pilots or navigators; the former remained at No. 1 FTS, and the latter transferred to the School of Air Navigation at RAAF Base East Sale,...
Following the disbandment of the ADFBFTS, No. 1 FTS was re-formed in January 2019 at RAAF Base East Sale to conduct basic flying training on the Pilatus PC-21. The school commenced its first course since reactivation on 14 January, and ten students graduated on 12 July. The re-formed No. 1 FTS came under the control of Air Academy, part of Air Force Training Group.
People also ask
When was No.1 Flying Training School formed?
When was 1 Canadian Forces flying training school disbanded?
Which is the oldest flying school in the world?
Where was the first Royal Australian Air Force School?
No. 1 Flying Training School (1 FTS) is the oldest military pilot training school in the world. On 23 December 1919, 1 FTS was officially formed by renaming the Netheravon Flying School, which had been formed on 29 July 1919 at Netheravon in Wiltshire, England, out of the 2nd incarnation of No. 8 Training Squadron, which in its turn had been formed on 15 May 1919 out of No. 8 Training Depot ...
Jul 17, 2021 · On 23 December 1919, 1 FTS was officially formed by renaming the Netheravon Flying School,  which had been formed on 29 July 1919  at Netheravon in Wiltshire, England, out of the 2nd incarnation of No. 8 Training Squadron,  which in its turn had been formed on 15 May 1919 out of No. 8 Training Depot Station, all at Netheravon.
- History of Advanced Pilot Training in The RCAF/CAF
- Advanced Pilot Training Today
- Current Use of The Name 1 CFFTS
- See Also
- External Links
Although military pilot training in Canada dates back to the early years of the 20th century, the modern Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) pilot training organization got its start in the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP) with the formation of service flying training schools one of which, No. 1 Service Flying Training School (No. 1 SFTS) at Camp Borden, Ontario, specialized in advanced pilot training and eventually evolved into 1 Canadian Forces Flying Training School in 1965. Under this system pilot candidates could expect to advance from 3 CFFTS to 2 CFFTS, then finish at 1 CFFTS, mimicking the Royal Air Forcepilot training philosophy adopted by the RCAF of three separate stages of pilot training – elementary, intermediate and advanced. 1 Flying Training School (FTS) was formed on 16 September 1945 at Centralia, Ontario, as a pilot training school which, on July 11, 1952, started training pilots using the deHavilland Chipmunk aircraft. The school trained RCAF and North...
419 (Tactical) Fighter Training Squadron is carrying on 1 CFFTS's historic role of advanced pilot training for future fighter pilots.
On 26 June 2009, the Canadian Forces Air Navigation School adopted the name of 1 CFFTS. 1 CFFTS currently trains air combat systems officers (previously called navigators) and airborne electronic sensor operators. In the past, other aircrew trades used No. 1 in their school names, but these school names were distinguished by their particular trade, for example No. 1 Air Observer School and No. 1 Air Navigation School. Pilot training schools were distinguished by the use of the word flying in the school's name. The present use of the word flyingin 1 CFFTS's name is a break with this tradition.
Official website Coordinates: 49°53′20″N 097°14′05″W / 49.88889°N 97.23472°W / 49.88889; -97.23472
The school trained RCAF and North Atlantic Treaty Organization pilots until the school disbanded on March 6, 1957. 1 FTS was reactivated on 31 August 1965. On 23 July 1970 it combined with the Flight Instructor School (FIS) to become 1 Canadian Forces Flying Training School (1 CFFTS) with the role of advanced pilot training.