- Back in the 1950s and 1960s, the Statesmen were one of Southern Gospel music's top quartets by anyone's reckoning. Ask Hovie Lister what their top songs were back then—or ever for that matter—and the first one he'll probably mention is this song, "What A Savior." Rosie Rozell joined the group as tenor in 1958, and this became his signature song.
People also ask
What are some of the most influential gospel groups of the 1950s?
What are the top 5 Southern gospel groups?
What is southern gospel music?
Who are the famous Southern gospel singers from Beaver Dam Kentucky?
- Christian Music Expert
- Karen Peck and New River. Karen Peck started singing professionally in 1981 with The Nelons. She remained with the group for 10 years before she felt like God was calling her to take the next step in her musical journey.
- Tribute Quartet. The Tribute Quartet formed in 2006, and within two years, had been named the "Horizon Group of the Year" at the National Quartet Convention.
- The Ball Brothers. Andrew and Daniel Ball, their brother-in-law Chad McCloskey, and Matt Davis form the group called The Ball Brothers. The brothers grew up in central Illinois and were singing at early ages.
- Greater Vision. The trio known as Greater Vision has been touching audiences around the world since 1990. With over 200 performances a year and 30+ releases, they have become the most awarded trio in the history of Gospel music with awards for Song of the Year, Album of the Year, Video of the Year, and Artist of the Year.
Sep 10, 1996 · Discover 1950's Gospel Classics (1950-58) by Various Artists released in 1996. Find album reviews, track lists, credits, awards and more at AllMusic.
The Soul Stirrers were one of the most influential vocal gospel groups, and during the 1950s they reached new heights when Sam Cooke joined the group. Black Southern vocal groups like the Five Blind Boys of Mississippi, the Five Blind Boys of Alabama and the Staple Singers recorded some of the most powerful gospel music of this era. During the 1950s, a number of Gospel stars including Sam Cooke and Aretha Franklin had successful pop crossover work as well as their gospel work.
The Crabb Family is a Grammy-nominated, Dove Award-winning Southern Gospel family group from Beaver Dam, Kentucky. They have have had sixteen #1… The Cathedrals