Yahoo Web Search

  1. World map - Wikipedia › wiki › World_map

    A world map is a map of most or all of the surface of Earth. World maps, because of their scale, must deal with the problem of projection. Maps rendered in two dimensions by necessity distort the display of the three-dimensional surface of the earth. While this is true of any map, these distortions reach extremes in a world map.

  2. Map of the Earth - Wikipedia › wiki › Map_of_the_Earth

    Map of the Earth may refer to: World map, map of world areas, population, volcanoes, etc. Political map, map showing regional boundaries; See also. Nap-of-the-earth

  3. People also ask

    What is the definition of world map?

    What is an early world map?

    What is the history of Google Earth?

    What is Google Earth in action?

  4. Earth - Wikipedia › wiki › Earth

    About 29.2% of Earth's surface is land consisting of continents and islands. The remaining 70.8% is covered with water, mostly by oceans, seas, gulfs, and other salt-water bodies, but also by lakes, rivers, and other fresh water, which together constitute the hydrosphere. Much of Earth's polar regions are covered in ice.

    • 29.78 km/s, (107200 km/h; 66600 mph)
    • 365.256363004 d, (31558.1497635 ks)
    • 0.99726968 d, (23h 56m 4.100s)
    • 101.325 kPa (at MSL)
  5. Google Earth - Wikipedia › wiki › Google_Earth

    Google Earth is a computer program, formerly known as Keyhole EarthViewer, that renders a 3D representation of Earth based primarily on satellite imagery.The program maps the Earth by superimposing satellite images, aerial photography, and GIS data onto a 3D globe, allowing users to see cities and landscapes from various angles.

  6. Earth - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia › wiki › Earth

    Earth also turns around in space, so that different parts face the Sun at different times. Earth goes around the Sun once (one year) for every 365 1 ⁄ 4 times it turns around (one day). Earth is the only planet in the Solar System that has a large amount of liquid water. About 74% of the surface of Earth is covered by liquid or frozen water.

    • Earthly, terrestrial
    • 147095000 km, (91401000 mi; 0.98327 AU)
    • 152100000 km, (94500000 mi; 1.017 AU)
    • 149598023 km, (92955902 mi; 1.00000102 AU)
  7. Flat Earth - Wikipedia › wiki › Flat_Earth

    The flat Earth model is an archaic conception of Earth's shape as a plane or disk.Many ancient cultures subscribed to a flat Earth cosmography, including Greece until the classical period (323 BC), the Bronze Age and Iron Age civilizations of the Near East until the Hellenistic period (31 BC), India until the Gupta period (early centuries AD), and China until the 17th century.

  8. A Map of Middle-earth - Wikipedia › wiki › Map_of_Middle-Earth
    • Overview
    • Barbara Remington
    • Pauline Baynes

    "A Map of Middle-earth" is the name of two colour posters by different artists, published in the late 1960s and early 1970s by the American and British publishers of J. R. R. Tolkien's book The Lord of the Rings. Both posters were based on Tolkien's maps and work by his son Christopher to depict the fictional Middle-earth. Neither of these maps cover the whole continent of Middle-earth; instead they portray the north-western part of the continent, where the story of The Lord of the Rings takes p

    The earlier poster, signed "BRem", was published in the 1960s by Ballantine Books and features border images adapted from Remington's cover designs for the 1965 Ballantine paperback edition of The Lord of the Rings.

    The second version, by Pauline Baynes, was published in 1970 by George Allen & Unwin in the UK and Ballantine Books in the USA. It features ten small inset illustrations of important locations from the story. The poster is framed at the top by a row of nine figures representing the members of the "Fellowship of the Ring" setting out on their quest. At the bottom is an array of antagonists from the novel, including the nine Black Riders, Gollum, Shelob, and various Orcs.

  9. List of map projections - Wikipedia › wiki › List_of_map_projections

    Lines of constant bearing (rhumb lines) are straight, aiding navigation. Areas inflate with latitude, becoming so extreme that the map cannot show the poles. Web Mercator: Cylindrical Compromise Google: 2005 Variant of Mercator that ignores Earth's ellipticity for fast calculation, and clips latitudes to ~85.05° for square presentation. De ...

  10. Hollow Earth - Wikipedia › wiki › Hollow_Earth

    The Hollow Earth is a concept proposing that the planet Earth is entirely hollow or contains a substantial interior space. Notably suggested by Edmond Halley in the late 17th century, the notion was disproved, first tentatively by Pierre Bouguer in 1740, then definitively by Charles Hutton in his Schiehallion experiment around 1774.

  11. People also search for