The Pennsylvania Railroad (reporting mark PRR, legal name The Pennsylvania Railroad Company, also known as the "Pennsy") was an American Class I railroad that was established in 1846 and was headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was so named because it was established in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
List of Pennsylvania railroads From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The following railroads operate in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania.
The Pennsylvania Railroad's steam locomotive class D3 (formerly Class C, pre-1895) comprised sixty-seven 4-4-0 locomotives intended for general passenger and freight service, constructed at the railroad's own Altoona Works (now owned by Norfolk Southern) during 1869–1881.
- PRR Altoona Works
People also ask
Where is Train Museum in PA?
Where is the Pa Railroad Museum?
What is PA RR?
Class D7 (formerly Class A (anthracite), pre-1895) on the Pennsylvania Railroad was a class of 4-4-0 steam locomotive. Fifty-eight were built by the PRR's Altoona Works (now owned by Norfolk Southern) between 1882–1891 with 68 in (1.73 m) drivers, while sixty-one of class D7a were constructed with 62 in (1.57 m) drivers.
- PRR Altoona Works
- 58 D7, 61 D7a
- No. 5550
The Pennsylvania Railroad's class T1 duplex-drive 4-4-4-4 steam locomotives, introduced in 1942 and 1945-1946, were the last steam locomotives built for the PRR and arguably its most controversial. They were ambitious, technologically sophisticated, powerful, fast and distinctively streamlined by Raymond Loewy. However, they were also prone to wheelslip both when starting and at speed, complicated to maintain and expensive to run. The PRR decided in 1948 to place diesel locomotives on all expres
Before the T1, the last production express passenger engine the PRR had produced was the K4s of 1914, produced until 1928. Two experimental enlarged K5 locomotives were produced in 1929, but they weren't considered enough of an improvement to be worthwhile. After that, the PRR's attention switched to electrification and the production of electric locomotives; apparently, the railroad decided that it did not need more steam locomotives.
When the PRR Board decided to dieselize all first-class prime trains in 1948, most T1s were downgraded to haul secondary trains. Some of them were withdrawn from passenger service in 1949; all were out of service by 1952. They were scrapped between 1951 and 1956.
In 2014, a non-profit group known as The T1 Trust is constructing an all-new, fully operational T1 using the original plans with subtle performance improvements where necessary. The T1 Trust's goal is to provide mainline excursion service and to set the world speed record for a steam locomotive – currently held by the LNER Class A4 4468 Mallard at 126 mph. The T1 Trust's cost estimate to build T1 number 5550 is $10 million with an expected completion date of 2030. The construction of 5550 ...
- 1942 (6110–6111), 1945–46 (5500–5549), 2014–present (5550)
- Altoona 4560–4584, BLW 72764–72788 (5525–5519)
- Ralph P. Johnson, Raymond Loewy
PRR 3750 is a Pennsylvania Railroad K4s 4-6-2 " Pacific " type steam locomotive located in the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, outside of Strasburg, Pennsylvania in the United States. For over a decade, 3750 stood in for the prototype K4s, 1737, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
- Altoona Works
Die wichtigste Hinterlassenschaft der Pennsylvania Railroad ist das elektrifizierte Streckennetz des Northeast Corridor südlich von New York. Ab 1910 wurden die Strecken im Raum New York/New Jersey und auf Long Island nach Südlondoner Vorbild mit Stromschienen versehen.
- Technical information
- In popular culture
The GG1 entered service with the PRR in 1935 and later ran on successor railroads Penn Central, Conrail and Amtrak. The last GG1 was retired by New Jersey Transit in 1983. Most have been scrapped, but sixteen are in museums.
The GG1 was 79 feet 6 inches long and weighed 475,000 pounds. The frame of the locomotive was in two halves joined with a ball and socket joint, allowing the locomotive to negotiate sharper curves. The body rested on the frame and was clad in welded steel plates. The control cabs
A pantograph on each end of the locomotive body was used to collect the 11,000 V, 25 Hz alternating current from the overhead lines. In operation the leading pantograph was usually kept lowered and the trailing raised to collect current, since if the rear pantograph failed it wou
At the time of the GG1's introduction, railroad passenger cars required steam from the locomotive to operate heating equipment. The GG1 had an oil-fired steam generator to provide this steam to the train's "steam line."
Beginning in the early 1910s, the PPR received the FF1 but decided it was too slow for passenger trains and was relegated to heavy freight service. In the mid 1920s, they received the L5 electric which had third rail power supply at the time. When the Pennsylvania built the O1 and the P5, they chose the P5 over the O1 for its ability and power on the rails. After a grade crossing accident with the P5, the cab was moved to the center and was designated P5a. Pennsylvania still searched for the ult
Fifteen production locomotives and the prototype were preserved in museums. None are operational, as they had to have their main transformers removed due to the presence of PCB's in the insulating oil.
During the mid-1930s, the art of streamlining became popular, especially with locomotives, as it conveyed a sense of speed. While other railroads were introducing streamlined trains, like the Union Pacific's M-10000 or the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad with the Zephyr, the PRR had the GG1. The GG1 has "shown up over the years in more advertisements and movie clips than any other locomotive." It was also featured in art calendars provided by PRR, which were used to "promote its reputation