People also ask
What are the top 10 Shakespeare plays?
What one of Shakespeare's plays is the most known?
Which Shakespearean plays are considered revenge plays?
This is an alphabetically ordered list of plays by William Shakespeare. Dates following titles indicate the dates the plays were written unless otherwise noted. Asterisks indicate plays likely written by Shakespeare and other playwrights, though evidence has been disputed.
- Shakespeare's Plays in Chronological Order
- Dating The Plays
- Authorship Controversy
The exact order of the composition and performances of Shakespeare’s plays is difficult to prove—and therefore often disputed. The dates listed below are approximate and based on the general consensus of when the plays were first performed: 1. "Henry VI Part I" (1589–1590) 2. "Henry VI Part II" (1590–1591) 3. "Henry VI Part III" (1590–1591) 4. "Ric...
The chronology of Shakespeare's plays remains a matter of some scholarly debate. Current consensus is based on a constellation of different data points, including publication information (e.g. dates taken from title pages), known performance dates, and information from contemporary diaries and other records. Though each play can be assigned a narro...
Another controversial question regarding Shakespeare's bibliography is whether the Bard actually authored all of the plays assigned to his name. In the 19th century, a number of literary historians popularized the so-called "anti-Stratfordian theory," which held that Shakespeare's plays were actually the work of Francis Bacon, Christopher Marlowe, ...
- Lee Jamieson
Love's Labour's Lost. Measure for Measure. Merchant of Venice. Merry Wives of Windsor. Midsummer Night's Dream. Much Ado about Nothing. Taming of the Shrew. Tempest. Twelfth Night.
- Henry VI part 2 (1590-91) Henry VI part 2 synopsis (Short Summary) 1590-91. 1594. Henry VI part II is the first of three Shakespeare plays based on the life and events of King Henry the VI.
- Henry VI part 3 (1590-91) Henry VI part 3 synopsis (Short Summary) 1590-91. 1594. Shakespeare’s fascination for the English Royalty continues in his sequel to Henry VI part 2.
- King Henry VI part 1 (1591-92) Henry VI part 1 synopsis (Short Summary) 1591-92. 1623. Shakespeare’s prequel to the Henry VI trilogy opens with the Young Lancastrian King Henry VI ascending the throne amid turmoil in England for power to the monarchy.
- Richard III (1592-93) Richard III synopsis (short summary) 1592-93. 1597. Richard III (Richard the third) could well qualify as one of the most treacherous of Shakespearean characters.
Oregon Public Broadcasting
Facing a tight timeline, the Oregon Shakespeare Festival lines up nine plays for its 2024 season
The Oregon Shakespeare Festival announced its 2024 lineup on Wednesday. Next season will feature nine different plays, with an emphasis on one-person shows. OSF’s ...
16 hours ago
13 hours ago · Depicted, counter-clockwise from top-left, are: Macbeth and Banquo meet the witches; just after the murder of Duncan; Banquo's ghost; Macbeth duels Macduff; and Macbeth. Macbeth ( / məkˈbɛθ /, full title The Tragedie of Macbeth) is a tragedy by William Shakespeare. It is thought to have been first performed in 1606.