Charlie Chaplin (1889–1977) was an English actor, comedian, and filmmaker whose work in motion pictures spanned from 1914 until 1967. During his early years in film, he became established as a worldwide cinematic idol renowned for his tramp persona.
Director: Henry Lehrman | Stars: Charles Chaplin, Ford Sterling, Chester Conklin, Edward Nolan Votes: 1,452 6. A Film Johnnie (1914)
Jan 08, 1993 · Storyline The biography of Charlie Chaplin, filmmaker extraordinaire. From his formative years in England to his highest successes in America, Chaplin's life, work, and loves are followed. While his screen characters were extremely hilarious, the man behind "The Little Tramp" was constantly haunted by a sense of loss.
- Richard Attenborough
- 2 min
Chaplin is a 1992 biographical comedy-drama film about the life of British comedian Charlie Chaplin. It was produced and directed by Richard Attenborough and stars Robert Downey Jr., Marisa Tomei, Dan Aykroyd, Penelope Ann Miller, and Kevin Kline.
Charles Chaplin The Little Tramp / Adenoid Hynkel / A Jewish Barber (archive footage) (uncredited) Mark Chapman
The Tramp struggles to live in modern industrial society with the help of a young homeless woman. Director: Charles Chaplin | Stars: Charles Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, Henry Bergman, Tiny Sandford. Votes: 221,334 | Gross: $0.16M. 3.
- Chris Olszewski
- Modern Times (1936) - 8.5. Modern Times is Chaplin's last appearance as the Tramp and a comment on industrialization, which Chaplin believed to be the cause of the conditions of the Great Depression.
- City Lights (1931) - 8.5. Although Chaplin had considered making a sound film as early as 1918, he ultimately refused to jump to talkies as the industry transitioned in the late 1920s.
- The Great Dictator (1940) - 8.4. The Great Dictator wasn't the first anti-Nazi Hollywood production, but it is one of the most well-remembered. It starred Chaplin as both the fascist dictator of fictional Tomania and a Jewish barber who's mistaken for the dictator and vaulted into power.
- The Kid (1921) - 8.3. The Kid was Chaplin's full-length directorial debut. It stars Chaplin as the Tramp and a young Jackie Coogan (who would later portray Uncle Fester on The Addams Family) as the Child.
Chaplin is the subject of a biographical film, Chaplin (1992) directed by Richard Attenborough, and starring Robert Downey Jr. in the title role and Geraldine Chaplin playing Hannah Chaplin. He is also a character in the historical drama film The Cat's Meow (2001), played by Eddie Izzard , and in the made-for-television movie The Scarlett O'Hara War (1980), played by Clive Revill .
Apr 12, 2021 · Charlie Chaplin starred in, wrote, and directed some of most memorable films in motion-picture history, including The Kid (1921), The Gold Rush (1925), City Lights (1931), Modern Times (1936), The Great Dictator (1940), for which he was nominated for an Academy Award as best actor, Monsieur Verdoux (1947), and Limelight (1952).
Answers for Charlie Chaplin's movies persona, The ___ crossword clue. Search for crossword clues found in the Daily Celebrity, NY Times, Daily Mirror, Telegraph and major publications. Find clues for Charlie Chaplin's movies persona, The ___ or most any crossword answer or clues for crossword answers.
- related to: What movie was Charlie Chaplin in?