The Leys School is a co-educational independent school in Cambridge, England. It is a day and boarding school for about 574 pupils between the ages of eleven and eighteen, and a member of the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference
- Academic Results
- Goodbye, Mr. Chips
- The Leys Memorial
- 'The Leys Thistle'
- See Also
The nineteenth century saw the founding of a large number of new schools in Britain, especially by the churches—including the Wesleyan Methodist Church. Although there were already several leading schools that offered an education for the sons of Ministers of the church, some Methodists were asking also for schools to be established for sons of lay church members. The Methodist Conference set up a committee to look at the possibility of starting a new school at either Oxford or Cambridge. Following several visits to Cambridge, they discovered that a twenty-acre (80,000 m2) site called "The Leys Estate" was being offered for sale. The estate was situated within easy reach of the city centre on the Trumpington Road, and it was close to the River Cam and to a number of Cambridge Colleges. The estate was acquired for the sum of £14,275 on 27 September 1872. The Reverend Doctor W. F. Moulton, who had been the secretary of the c...
Despite its Methodist traditions it has, for more than fifty years, been liberal on religion (although never secular). Many pupils received confirmation into the Church of England in the school chapel, and some others have had religious backgrounds from faiths other than the Christianity. Despite its religious liberalism, The Leys is predominantly a Christian school and they state openly that "The School’s Christian ethos lies at the heart of our education philosophy." Pupils attend chapel services twice a week; a weekday service on a Friday afternoon plus Sunday services with the whole boarding community on a monthly basis with a weekly service with just their House on another specified day of the week. In addition, Holy Communiontakes place once a term. The school motto is "In Fide Fiducia" (Latin for "In Faith, Trust"), which is also the motto for its associated prep school, St Faith's School. The two schools make up T...
2016 A Level results
103 pupils sat A Levels this summer, The Leys achieved an overall pass rate of 100%. 75% of all results were at grades A*-B, with 42% at A grade or better.
Half of the Year 11 pupils achieved 9 or more A*s and A grades at GCSE. 100% of Leysian pupils secured five or more A*-C grades, including English and Mathematics. Over two thirds of all GCSEs taken resulted in an A* or A grade; over 99% produced an A*-C pass.
The main sports played by boys during the three terms are: 1. Rugby union(Autumn) 2. Rowing 3. Grass and AstroTurf Hockey(Spring) 4. Cricket(Summer) 5. Tennis 6. Football Girls play: 1. Hockey (Autumn) 2. Netball(Spring) 3. Tennis(Summer) The school has a range of sports facilities spread across its 50-acre (200,000 m2) site. Other than the above-mentioned sports, the sports pitches include concrete, grass and AstroTurf tennis courts and a football pitch. The AstroTurf pitches are fully lit for night-time play. Indoor facilities include a fully equipped fitness centre, a sports hall for indoor sports such as badminton and netball, three squash courts and an aerobics studio. The school has a 25-meter heated indoor swimming pool and a rowing boathouse on the River Camas well as several boats. The Leys' U15 Rugby team won the national 2008/09 Daily Mail/RBS Vase - team achieved the double by winning the U18 Vase in 2011/12 The Leys swims, competing a...
There are 11 separate houses at the Leys, the oldest being School House founded in 1875. 1. School is a thirteen to eighteen boys' boarding house with 30–35 boarders and 18-20 home boarders. The Housemasteris James Fawcett and the Assistant Housemaster is Peregrine Nunes-Carvalho. 2. Westis a thirteen to eighteen boys' boarding house with room for 45–48 boarders with 25–30 home boarders. The Housemaster is Andrew Long and the Assistant Housemaster is Phillip Blayney. 3. North Ais a boys' boarding house of 40–45 boarders and fifteen to twenty home boarders. The Housemaster is Ben Barton and the Assistant Housemaster is Damien Rigden. North A House is located on the upper quad, opposite the chapel and adjacent to the Day Houses. 4. Bissekeris part of the co-educational day house (known internally by its former name of North B House). The Housemistress is Ethna Prosser. 5. Barkeris a mixed day house with roughly 50 people. The Housemaster is Nicholas Robinson. 6. BarrettTypically ar...
The setting for popular novel and play Goodbye, Mr. Chips is believed to have been based on The Leys where author James Hilton was a pupil (1915–1918). Hilton is reported to have said that the inspiration for the protagonist, Chips, came chiefly from W.H. Balgarnie, one of the masters at The Leys (1900–30) who was in charge of the Leys Fortnightly (where Hilton's first short stories and essays were published). Over the years old boys have written to Geoffery Houghton, a master of The Leys for a number of years and a historian of the school, confirming the links between Chips and Balgarnie. As with Mr. Chips, Balgarnie died at the school, at the age of 82, having been linked with the school for 51 years and living his last years in modest lodgings opposite the school. Again, like Mr. Chips, Balgarnie was a strict disciplinarian, but would also invite boys to visit him for tea and biscuits. Hilton wrote, upon Balgarnie's death that "Ba...
The Memorial Chapel of The Leys is situated on the grounds of the school. It was built as a memorial to the first headmaster of The Leys, William Fiddian Moulton. Plans for the chapel, designed by architect Robert Curwen, were first presented to the school's second headmaster, W. T. A. Barber; he deemed the project an unnecessary luxury. Services were held in the school hall until 1904 when the governors approved the chapel's construction. The cost, including all furnishings, was estimated in 1925 to have been £39,000. The foundation stone was laid at the marble West Door by Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont on 8 June 1905 and the chapel was consecrated on 27 October 1906. The building's design is Gothic, to complement the surrounding buildings. All visible woodwork is in oak. The roof comprises elaborately worked tussels[clarification needed] and tracery work, somewhat after the lines of the famous roof of Westmins...
The Scottish community at the school set up the 'The Leys Thistle' in October 1915 in order to unite Scottish families while they were away from Scotland. The 'Thistle' was created by Scottish members of North 'A'. Following the first meeting on Halloween 1915, the 'rush to join was tremendous' and many applicants were said to have lied about Scottish heritage to get into the club, such was the demand. The publication of the society was called the 'Leys Thistle' and the first publication was in March 1917. The motto of the club is Nemo Me Impune Lacessitor 'no one touches me with impunity'. The first publication of the 'The Leys Thistle' states that the club had only three rules: 1. 'That we, a brotherhood of fellows, united with each other to help and do anything can do to live up to the glorious traditions of Scotland.' 2. 'To be an influence for good in the School: although we can't do much, still we can live decent and clean sportsmen's li...W.T.A. Barber 1898–1919H. Bisseker 1919–1934W.G. Humphrey 1934–1958
People also ask
What kind of school is the Leys School?
Who are some famous people from Leys School?
Who was the first headmaster of the Leys School?
What did The Leys School do during the Cold War?
The Leys School is, and always has been, a Public School. The term is used to describe schools which are 100% fee paying (The Leys is); long established (ditto) and often "boarding" schools. The term is still used, although "Independent School" is more common today (and somewhat wider in scope).
- Stained glass
The Memorial Chapel of The Leys is situated on the grounds of The Leys School, Cambridge, England. It was built as a memorial to the first headmaster of The Leys, William Fiddian Moulton. Plans for the chapel, designed by architect Robert Curwen, were first presented to the school's second headmaster, W. T. A. Barber; he deemed the project an unnecessary luxury. School services continued to be held instead in the school hall, until 1904 when the school governors approved the chapel's constructio
In 1914, 927 Leysians joined the armed services and 146 of them died in the First World War. A memorial to the old Leysians who died, costing £48,000 and funded by donation, was on 6 June 1920 unveiled by the Duke of York, later King George VI. The memorial consists of four rows of names divided in the middle by a statue of an armoured St George, below which is written "To The Immortal Memory of Old Leysians Who Fell In The War Of 1914–1919", and in large block capitals the words "My ...
The chapel has fourteen windows; the Governors commissioned H. J. Salisbury to decorate them all according to a unified theme. The work was modelled on the windows of the King's College Chapel, Cambridge. Because The Leys is a Methodist school, the work was required to be simple and avoid complex symbolism. All but one of the windows depicts passages from the New Testament concerning the story of Christ; the large window over the main entrance instead shows ten Old Testament subjects forecasting
The pulpit is made of oak and has a brass inscription reading "To the Glory of God and for the Preaching of His holy word this Pulpit was carved by Anne Hobson, Helen Mary Chubb, and George Hayter Chubb, and presented by the latter to The Leys, October, 1906."
There are thirty-two oak benches in the chapel, thirty with square ends and two with sloping ends.
Category:People educated at The Leys School From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Former pupils of The Leys School in Cambridge, England. They are known in some circles as "Old Leysians".
- Lectură Suplimentară
- Legături Externe
În secolul al XIX-lea au fost înființat un mare număr de școli noi în Marea Britanie, mai ales de către biserici — inclusiv Biserica Metodistă Wesleyană. Deși existau deja mai multe școli care ofereau o bună educație pentru fiii clericilor acestei biserici, unii metodiști au cerut, de asemenea, să fie înființate școli pentru credincioșii laici ai bisericii. Conferința Metodistă a fondat un comitet care să analizeze posibilitatea de a organiza o școală nouă la Oxford sau la Cambridge. După mai multe vizite la Cambridge, membrii comitetului au aflat că un teren de 20 de acri (80.000 m2) numit „The Leys Estate” era oferit spre vânzare. Terenul era situat pe Trumpington Road, la mică distanță de centrul orașului, și se afla în apropierea râului Cam și a câtorva colegii ale Universității Cambridge. Proprietatea a fost achiziționată pentru suma de 14.275 £ pe 27 septembrie 1872. Reverendul dr. W. F. Moulton, care era secretarul comitetului, a fost numit directorulșcolii nou-înființate. Șc...W. F. Moulton 1875-1898W. T. A. Barber 1898-1919H. Bisseker 1919-1934W. G. Humphrey 1934-1958Baker, Derek (1975). Partnership in Excellence: A Late-Victorian Educational Venture: The Leys School, Cambridge, 1875-1975. Cambridge: The Governors of The Leys School.Houghton, Geoff and Pat (2000). Well-regulated Minds and Improper Moments: A History of The Leys School. Cambridge: The Governors of The Leys School. ISBN 0-9501721-8-9.
Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) is a branch of the Loudoun County, Virginia, United States government, and administers public schools in the county. LCPS's headquarters is located at 21000 Education Court in Ashburn, an unincorporated section of the county.
History of the Leys School Pevsner’s Cambridgeshire notes that the school was: ‘founded by Methodists in 1875, The Leys is Cambridgeshire’s chief expression of public school architectural tradition. But at the heart is a villa built probably in 1815 (now Headmaster’s House).’