- These characteristics make a school good: 1. Students Want to be There Effective schools have a warm climate. Students feel welcome and know that the staff cares about them. Although there is pressure to perform, it comes in a way that promotes learning, with an expectation that students will excel and the support is provided to make it happen.
People also ask
What are the characteristics of a good school?
What makes for Great education in our schools?
What makes a good secondary school?
What makes a good high school?
Oct 23, 2017 · School quality is multidimensional. And just because a school is strong in one area does not mean that it is equally strong in another. In fact, my research team has found that high standardized test score growth can be correlated with low levels of student engagement.
- Teachers must believe all students can learn. If you are in my children’s school and you don’t believe they can learn, then goodbye. Don’t let your classroom door hit you on the way out (well…maybe it should).
- Students from all backgrounds who are racially, ethnically, linguistically or economically different are learning. If a school is majority White, but the Black kids are failing, this is not a good school.
- Teachers must know their content well. Some students are not learning because their teachers haven’t learned. No, a first-year teacher will not be as good as a ten-year teacher, but we need more teachers knowledgeable in their content and not learning on the job.
- The school communicates with parents clearly and frequently about important issues and asks for input before making decisions. The school serves the community.
Jul 05, 2012 · Americans are looking for schools they can trust. A Gallup poll last month revealed that confidence in public schools is at a 40-year low — only 29% of respondents expressed “a great deal ...
Jul 06, 2012 · Today, Great Schools is the country’s leading source of information on school performance, with listings of 200,000 public and private schools serving students from preschool through high school, a cache of more than 800,000 parent ratings and reviews, and a website that receives more than 37 million unique visitors a year.
Nov 05, 2010 · Only the best is good enough. Quality is expected, and nothing less is acceptable. Passion for excellence is a driving force each and every day. A good school has an involved staff working together, pushing themselves and their students to be the best.
Feb 19, 2020 · Hammond adds that in effective learning environments, schools really work to create a positive school climate, with opportunities for teachers and kids to really get to know each other well. The curriculum emphasizes critical thinking and 21st century skills. Hammond says great schools are shifting towards developing skills for the future.
Leadership: A strong leader makes a school great. An effective leader listens, communicates, solves problems, offers support and guidance, and is the driving force for excellence. The principal oversees the staff, students, families, and is the bridge to the community.
- Attitude of the Office Staff. The first thing that greets you when you enter a school is the office staff. Their actions set the tone for the rest of the school.
- Attitude of the Principal. You will probably have the chance to meet with the principal before taking a job at a school. His attitude is extremely important for you and the school as a whole.
- A Mix of New and Veteran Teachers. New teachers come into a school fired up to teach and innovate. Many feel that they can make a difference. At the same time, they often have a lot to learn about classroom management and the workings of the school system.
- Student-Centered. To be truly effective, a principal must create a system of core values that the entire staff shares. To do this, she needs to involve the teachers and staff.