The George Floyd protests are an ongoing series of protests against police brutality and racism that began in Minneapolis in the United States on May 26, 2020. The civil unrest and protests began as part of international responses to the murder of George Floyd, a 46-year-old African American man who was killed during an arrest after Derek Chauvin, a Minneapolis Police Department officer, knelt ...
- 19+ (as of June 8, 2020)
- May 26, 2020 – present, (10 months, 3 weeks and 2 days)
- United States, (protests in other countries)
Unrest after George Floyd’s killing left Lightfoot administration struggling: ‘We are so behind [it’s] ridiculous’
As a downtown protest over the police killing of George Floyd devolved into chaos late last May and gave way to months of unrest, an adviser to Mayor Lori Lightfoot directed a staffer to swiftly prepare a formal response that could be introduced to the City Council.
1 day ago
- Germany. Crowds gathered in Berlin in front of the US embassy on Saturday and Sunday. Participants wore face masks and carried signs declaring "Black lives matter" and "Justice can't wait".
- France. Activists wearing black clothing and face masks took a knee and held up signs reading "I can't breathe," "We are all George Floyd" and "Racism chokes us" in Paris on Monday.
- Denmark. Chants of "no justice, no peace" were heard In the streets of Copenhagen on Sunday, as protesters marched over Floyd's death. Some rallied outside the Danish capital's US embassy.
- Italy. In Milan, crowds held a flashmob near the city's US consulate on Thursday. A flash mob gathers outside the American consulate in Milan, Italy on Thursday, May 28.
Mar 28, 2021 · After the death of George Floyd on May 25, protests and unrest have rocked Minneapolis and other cities.. In cities across the United States, tens of thousands of people have swarmed the streets ...
The George Floyd protests in Minneapolis–Saint Paul began in the U.S. state of Minnesota on May 26, 2020, as a response to the murder of George Floyd, a 46-year-old African-American man who died on May 25 after Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin knelt on Floyd's neck for 9 minutes and 29 seconds as three other officers assisted during an arrest.
Jun 06, 2020 · As the protests continued in the United States for a second week in response to the killing of George Floyd, people around the world began to stand up with them. From London to Pretoria to Sydney ...
Jun 01, 2020 · Protests continued following the death of George Floyd, who died after being restrained by Minneapolis police officers on Memorial Day. John Minchillo/AP Updated 2:25 p.m. ET
Aug 09, 2020 · The George Floyd police brutality protests are different -- bigger, fiercer, more sustained -- than demonstrations prior.