- Woking ( / ˈwoʊkɪŋ / WOH-king) is a town in northwest Surrey, England. It is at the southwestern edge of the Greater London Urban Area and is a part of the London commuter belt, with frequent trains and a journey time of approximately 24 minutes to Waterloo station. Woking is 23 miles (37 km) southwest of Charing Cross in central London.
People also ask
Is Woking in London or Surrey?
What is there to do in Woking?
What is the population of Woking?
What is Woking’s story?
Woking Not to be confused with Wokingham. Woking ( / ˈwoʊkɪŋ / WOH-king) is a town and borough in northwest Surrey, England, around 22 mi (35 km) from central London. It appears in Domesday Book as Wochinges and its name probably derives from that of a Saxon landowner.
Tel: + 44 (0)1483 755855 Website About Located in the heart of Surrey, Woking is a large town offering visitors a wide range of things to do and well as excellent shopping and dining facilities. Woking marked Her Majesty the Queen’s 60-year reign by designing a brand new public space in the heart of the town called ‘Jubilee Square’.
Aug 03, 2022 · Woking is located on the disused Basingstoke Canal, in the county of Surrey, approximately 29 miles south-west of London and 7 miles north of Guildford. The town has a population of around 90,000. Administratively it is within the Borough of Woking which covers an area of approximately 64 sq kms.
Surrey Woking Woking Tourism: Best of Woking Essential Woking Do Places to see, ways to wander, and signature experiences. See all The Lightbox 249 Art Galleries, Art Museums New Victoria Theatre 449 Theaters Brookwood Cemetery 166 Cemeteries Lightwater Country Park 86 Parks Brookwood Military Cemetery 24 Cemeteries Woking Park 51 Parks
- The Lightbox. Next to the Basingstoke Canal, the Lightbox is Woking’s art gallery and local history museum in a modern building that opened in 2007. “Woking’s Story” is the permanent exhibition, chronicling the town in eight displays and dipping into topics like the Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment, the coming of the railway, Brookwood Cemetery, the Tudor Woking Palace and the Shah Jahan Mosque.
- RHS Garden Wisley. One of England’s four Royal Horticultural Society gardens, Wisley is the most popular of them all, receiving around a million visitors a year.
- Horsell Common. In walking distance of Woking town centre, Horsell Common is one of England’s only areas of common land that is both privately owned and open to the public.
- Shah Jahan Mosque. On Oriental Road, the Shah Jahan Mosque became the first purpose-built mosque not just in the UK but all of Northern Europe when it was completed in 1889.