People also ask
What are the best symphonic metal bands?
What are some good examples of symphonic death metal?
What was the first symphonic metal song?
What is operatic symphonic metal?
Nov 17, 2021 · The 25 best symphonic metal albums. 25. X Japan - Art Of Life (1993) In the early 90s, X Japan (née X) were at their height of popularity. With fame and fawning came limitless ... 24. Sirenia - Riddles, Ruins & Revelations (2021) 23. Haggard - Eppur Si Muove (2004) 22. The Young Gods - L’eau Rouge ...
- Jonathan Selzer
- Heavy Metal with An Orchestral Twist
- Top 10 Symphonic Metal Bands
- The Development of This Metal Subgenre
- Best Symphonic Metal Bands #11–20
- Symphonic Themes and Influences
- Great Symphonic Heavy Metal Groups #21–40
- Operatic Voices in Heavy Metal
- Best Artists in Symphonic Metal #41–60
- Classically Trained Female Singers in Metal
- Recommended Symphonic Metal Groups #61–80
Symphonic metal music is a heavy metal subgenre that is characterized by its complex time signatures and orchestral arrangements. Bands in this genre are heavily influenced by classical music. This is what gives the genre its distinct sound. The list below showcases a diverse number of symphonic metal bands, including symphonic black metal, symphon...NightwishEpicaRhapsody of FireTherion
The development of symphonic metal began in the ‘80s, when a few bands in the gothic metal genre and early death metal genre started experimenting with sectional changes in metal compositions. This small, but vital musical revolution paved the way for the success of the subgenre. The band Therion is credited with having laid the foundation for the ...
11. Leaves’ Eyes 12. ReVamp 13. Sirenia 14. Lacuna Coil 15. Tristania 16. Edenbridge 17. Sonata Arctica 18. Haggard 19. Evanescence 20. Fleshgod Apocalypse
In this genre, songs are often structured like orchestral compositions. Intricate keyboard passages, double bass drum parts, complex guitar solos, solid bass, and wide ranging vocals form this genre's identity. This music takes listeners on a journey through dark fantasy and mythological folklore. These songs borrow heavily from many progressive ba...
21. Amberian Dawn 22. Symphony X 23. Visions of Atlantis 24. Dark Moor 25. Believer 26. Ayreon 27. Trans-Siberian Orchestra 28. Blind Guardian 29. Wintersun 30. Pathfinder 31. Serenity 32. Dol Ammad 33. Septicflesh 34. Diablo Swing Orchestra 35. Lacrimosa 36. Fairyland 37. Bal-Sagoth 38. Eternal Tears of Sorrow 39. Krypteria 40. Ancient Bards
A number of symphonic bands are fronted by female vocalists. These vocalists showcase the operatic vocals in epic, sweeping song arrangements. These singers and band are often referred to as "operatic symphonic metal." While high-pitched voices are a common feature in metal, it is not surprising to come across vocalists that perform signature death...
41. Symfonia 42. Dimmu Borgir 43. Adagio 44. Stravaganzza 45. Angtoria 46. Stratovarious 47. Hollenthon 48. Pythia 49. Turisas 50. Powerwolf 51. Apocalyptica 52. Sons of Seasons 53. Phoenix Rising 54. Waltari 55. Angra 56. Twilight Force 57. Diabulus in Musica 58. Anorexia Nervosa 59. Thy Majestie 60. Lunatica
Symphonic metal singers are known for their wide vocal range. A number of bands feature operatic vocals that have become integral parts of the genre's development. Over the years, a number of symphonic bands have emerged that are led by classically trained female singers. This has led to the development of the operatic metal(or opera metal) subgenr...
61. Dragonland 62. Carach Angren 63. Skillet 64. Dreamtale 65. Savatage 66. Kerion 67. Stream of Passion 68. Emperor 69. Versailles 70. Shade Empire 71. Virgin Steele 72. Almora 73. HB 74. Coronatus 75. Divinefire 76. Kingfisher Sky 77. Indica 78. Enslavement of Beauty 79. Hecate Enthroned 80. Veni Domine
- Nightwish - Once. Was there even an ounce of doubt that a Nightwish with Tarja Turunen on vocals would take a top spot on this list? And interestingly enough, we have the final record that the band recorded with Tarja, 2004's "Once."
- Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera. Over the years, Blind Guardian made their name synonymous with power metal and symphonic metal. And it's no wonder at all – just take a listen to their 7th studio album, "A Night at the Opera."
- Wintersun - Time I. Now getting nearer to the top of this list, we have Wintersun with their second album "Time I." With a guitar master and a wonderful vocalist Jari Mäenpää, you can't expect to have a weak record at all.
- Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands. Back in the old days, when Rhapsody of Fire was Rhapsody, they marched on to define the exact characteristics of power metal.
Feb 15, 2022 · That said, what are the top symphonic metal bands? Any symphonic metal bands list has to include the likes of Nightwatch, Epica, Kamelot and Rhapsody of Fire. These names are easily some of the greatest symphonic metal bands, and their legacies remain strong. Symphonic metal bands are influenced by gothic metal, power metal, and not too surprisingly, classical metal. Some of the best symphonic metal bands are some of the most influential metal bands in the world.
- Blind Guardian – Nightfall in Middle-Earth
- Rhapsody – Symphony of Enchanted Lands
- Haggard – Awaking The Centuries
- Symphony X – V: The New Mythology Suite
- Therion – Secret of The Runes
- After Forever – Decipher
- Within Temptation – The Silent Force
- Kamelot – The Black Halo
- Nightwish – Dark Passion Play
- Epica – The Quantum Enigma
Though some may claim they have more in common with power metal, Blind Guardian also deserve a place on any roll call of symphonic metal’s finest, thanks largely to the way they compose and arrange their songs. Wallowing in its weighty subject matter of Tolkien’s The Silmarillion, …Middle-Earth provides a banquet of medieval/folk, speed/power metal...
Few albums have attained a finer, cleaner blend of orchestral sounds and heavy metal than Symphony Of Enchanted Lands. Though somewhat inferior, its eventual sequel was anointed by an appearance from fanboy Christopher Lee. However, the original is equal parts Conan The Barbarian and Last Night Of The Proms. Italy’s Rhapsody (later legally forced t...
The name of Haggardmay be unfamiliar to casual fans of symphonic metal but the Germans have existed since the 1990s, albeit in more death metal-style earlier incarnations. While rivals tend to utilise keys for orchestral effect, Haggard prefer to keep it real, their line-up pretty much a revolving door of players, most of whom wield traditional med...
New Jersey’s Symphony Xhave been blending symphonic, neo-classical and power metal with progressive elements for more than two decades to create some of the most striking and colourful music around. A conceptual piece dealing with the story of Atlantis, ancient Egyptian mythology and astrological possibilities, their fifth album doffed its feathere...
Therion remain the original and – the purists would have you believe – the best of all the symphonic metal acts. Named in honour of Celtic Frost’s second album To Mega Therion, the Swedes have been led by multi-instrumentalist Christofer Johnsson since 1987. While others have prospered by ‘sexing-up’ the genre’s principles, the Therion experience r...
The second album from this pioneering and much-missed Dutch outfit, who ran from 1995 to 2009, Decipher employed live classical instruments and a full choir to complement the stirring soprano delivery of Floor Jansen (now, of course, with Nightwish). Soon afterwards Mark Jansen quit, taking his growled co-vocals along to the guitarist’s next band o...
Three albums in, Holland’s Within Temptation began to discard the doomier baggage of their early days, settling upon a uplifting symphonic-based style that was rendered all the more saleable by the irresistible voice and presence of Sharon den Adel. Later on they would infuse more gothic elements and in a career nadir indulge in a regrettable dalli...
Featuring cameos from Epica’s Simone Simons and Stratovarius/Blackmore’s Rainbow keysman Jens Johansson among others, The Black Halo was the seventh album from these Americans. The conclusion of two conceptual pieces inspired by Goethe’s Faust, it picked up where predecessor Epica had left off some two years earlier. Tracks such as March Of Mephist...
Debate over the merits of the three female lead vocalists employed by Nightwish will most likely rage forever, though their current frontwoman Floor Jansen is probably the best. Dark Passion Play may feature the Finnish group’s least popular singer, Anette Olzon, but it’s their finest set of songs, the Swedes’ melodic approach being perfectly suite...
This fine Dutch band has played a crucial part in the development of symphonic metal via a string of consistently impressive releases, but with The Quantum Enigma– their sixth studio record – Epica raised the bar to a whole different level, hiring a live chamber choir and a string orchestra to enhance a collection of tunes that is uniformly strong....
- Dave Ling