Aug 13, 2020 · From 1 st July 2020, a new Company, Caledonia Potatoes Ltd, has been created by former Caithness contributors Alistair Melrose, Mike McDiarmid and Robert Doig. They say Caledonia Potatoes will be ably supported by its Perth, Scotland office team of Andrew Lamont (Sales), Dr Finlay Dale (Science and support) and Sian Mochan (Accounts and more).
3 days ago · Genetically modified crops (GM crops) are plants used in agriculture, the DNA of which has been modified using genetic engineering methods. Plant genomes can be engineered by physical methods or by use of Agrobacterium for the delivery of sequences hosted in T-DNA binary vectors.
- GMF Traits
- GMO Impact on Environment
- GMFS and Politics
- Deliberate Misinformation
- Positions on GMO
- External Links
With one exception, all GMFs on the market are plants. (The one exception is the AquAdvantage salmon, a fish modified to grow larger and faster than its non-GMF counterparts. Although this salmon has been approved by the USA's Food and Drug Administration, as of 2018 it has only been sold in Canada. Since DNA recombination is a very powerful technique which allows for almost arbitrary modifications to be introduced into the genome, GMF can have a variety of traits which are extremely unlikely to occur in nature (but not impossible) and can not be obtained using conventional methods of breeding. It is a way to short-circuit the millions of years of evolution and/or artificial selectionwhich would be required for the desirable traits to arise spontaneously. This includes resistance to pests, viruses and herbicides, drought tolerance and improved nutritional value. The majority of GMFs have one or more of the following traits:
Environmental concerns over GMO also exist. The scientific consensus over GMF crops and the environment is not as clear-cut as the consensus on GMF and health.
Even if GMFs are relatively safe to humans and the environment, it's possible that their use might harm someone legally or financially; such risks exist but are routinely overblown.
Misinformation on the subject is harmful. People who would otherwise be fed are starved, being deprived of food being destroyed just because it is GMF.Destroying otherwise edible food when there are starving people is morally questionable, at best.
1. Aaron E. Carroll — Professor of Pediatrics and Associate Dean for Research Mentoring at Indiana University School of Medicine, and the director of the Center for Health Policy and Professionalism Research. And more. A damn good doctor, in other words. Dedicates an episode of Healthcare Triageto debunking GMO fears. 2. Ben Goldacre— Doctor, skeptic and science writer. 3. Bill Nye — Credits good sciencewith proving to him that a pro-GMO stance is the rational option. 4. Brian Dunning — Skept...
1. Massimo Pigliucci— Philosopher, author and skeptic. 2. World Health Organisation - Specialized agency of the United Nationsthat is concerned with international public health. 3. Oxfam - Believes a 'simple technological fix' is unlikely to solve world hunger. A farmer's lack of access to food or power over food production are seen as more pressing concerns for food security.
1. Alex Jones — Not at all known for predictably siding with the "wrong" camp on any issue. Sells various popular anti-GMO DVD's, all of them of the pseudoscientific, historical revisionist and conspiratorialflavour. 2. American Academy of Environmental Medicine - Overtly pro-pseudosciencegroup of physicians. 3. The Center for Food Safety, which isn't at all interested in actual food safety. 4. David Icke — Confirming the reptiliandeception fueling the pro-GMO agenda. 5. Deepak Chopra — Quant...
3 days ago · BP and Associated British Foods plan to use agricultural surpluses of sugar beet to produce biobutanol in East Anglia in the United Kingdom. The feedstock-to-yield ratio for sugarbeet is 56:9. Therefore, it takes 6.22 kg of sugar beet to produce 1 kg of ethanol (approximately 1.27 l at room temperature).
3 days ago · This list of University of Texas at Austin alumni includes notable graduates, non-graduate former students, and current students of the University of Texas at Austin.The institution is a major research university in Downtown Austin, Texas, US and is the flagship institution of the University of Texas System.
2 days ago · Get the latest news and analysis in the stock market today, including national and world stock market news, business news, financial news and more
3 days ago · Idaho (/ ˈ aɪ d ə h oʊ / ()) is a state in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States.It borders the state of Montana to the east and northeast, Wyoming to the east, Nevada and Utah to the south, and Washington and Oregon to the west.
3 days ago · Laura Ingraham says Joe Biden prioritizing women of color for running mate was a racist violation of moral obligations
Aug 07, 2020 · It is 1 p.m. on a hot, sunny, Friday. Across from the Sigona Golf Club on the Nairobi-Nakuru dual highway that is being reconstructed by the Chinese construction company China Wu Yi, Phyllis Ikoa’s food kiosk is teeming with men in helmets and overalls munching their hot, fresh lunch with their rough seasoned hands.
2 days ago · The Texarkana Gazette is the premier source for local news and sports in Texarkana and the surrounding Arklatex areas.