Sep 22, 2020 · The European Food Safety Authority was created in 2002 with the primary goal of preventing future food crises in Europe. All GMOs, along with irradiated food, are considered "new food" and subject to extensive, case-by-case, science based food evaluation by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).
Sep 22, 2020 · Genetically modified crops undergo a significant amount of regulation throughout the world. For a GM crop to be approved for release in the US, it must be assessed by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) agency within the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and may also be assessed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental protection agency (EPA ...
Genetically modified crops (GM crops) are genetically modified plants that are used in agriculture.The first crops developed were used for animal or human food and provide resistance to certain pests, diseases, environmental conditions, spoilage or chemical treatments (e.g. resistance to a herbicide).
Sep 06, 2020 · With respect to the question of "Whether GMO foods were safe to eat", the gap between the opinion of the public and that of American Association for the Advancement of Science scientists is very wide with 88% of AAAS scientists saying yes in contrast to 37% of the general public.
People also ask
Are GMOs considered "new food"?
What is genetically modified food controversy?
What is the role of the EFSA in GMOs?
Who makes Garden Protein Foods?
Sep 09, 2020 · Food. The French High Council of Biotechnologies Scientific Committee reviewed the 2009 Vendômois et al. study and concluded that it "..presents no admissible scientific element likely to ascribe any haematological, hepatic or renal toxicity to the three re-analysed GMOs."
Sep 07, 2020 · GMO = Genetically Modified Organism GMOs are created in a lab, by inserting a gene from one organism into another unrelated organism, producing plants and animals that would never occur in nature. No long-term safety studies have been done on humans, but animal studies link the consumption of GMOs to an increase in allergies, kidney and liver disease, ADHD, cancer, infertility, chronic immune ...
2 days ago · In 1995 Monsanto's potato plants producing Bt toxin were approved by the Environmental Protection Agency, following approval by the FDA, making it the first pesticide-producing crop to be approved in the United States. Monsanto subsequently developed Bt maize (MON 802, MON 809, MON 863, MON 810), Bt soybean and Bt cotton.
Sep 22, 2020 · Plamil Foods – British manufacturer of vegan food products. Quorn, British meat substitute company headquartered in Stokesley North Yorkshire and owned by Monde Nissin Corporation. Ripple Foods — California producer of non-gmo, gluten-free, soy-free, non-dairy, pea protein-based Ripple dairy alternatives, made without carrageenans.
- GMF Traits
- GMO Impact on Environment
- GMFS and Politics
- Deliberate Misinformation
- Positions on GMO
- External Links
With one exception, all GMFs on the market are plants. (The one exception is the AquAdvantage salmon, a fish modified to grow larger and faster than its non-GMF counterparts. Although this salmon has been approved by the USA's Food and Drug Administration, as of 2018 it has only been sold in Canada. Since DNA recombination is a very powerful technique which allows for almost arbitrary modifications to be introduced into the genome, GMF can have a variety of traits which are extremely unlikely to occur in nature (but not impossible) and can not be obtained using conventional methods of breeding. It is a way to short-circuit the millions of years of evolution and/or artificial selectionwhich would be required for the desirable traits to arise spontaneously. This includes resistance to pests, viruses and herbicides, drought tolerance and improved nutritional value. The majority of GMFs have one or more of the following traits:
Environmental concerns over GMO also exist. The scientific consensus over GMF crops and the environment is not as clear-cut as the consensus on GMF and health.
Even if GMFs are relatively safe to humans and the environment, it's possible that their use might harm someone legally or financially; such risks exist but are routinely overblown.
Misinformation on the subject is harmful. People who would otherwise be fed are starved, being deprived of food being destroyed just because it is GMF.Destroying otherwise edible food when there are starving people is morally questionable, at best.
1. Aaron E. Carroll — Professor of Pediatrics and Associate Dean for Research Mentoring at Indiana University School of Medicine, and the director of the Center for Health Policy and Professionalism Research. And more. A damn good doctor, in other words. Dedicates an episode of Healthcare Triageto debunking GMO fears. 2. Ben Goldacre— Doctor, skeptic and science writer. 3. Bill Nye — Credits good sciencewith proving to him that a pro-GMO stance is the rational option. 4. Brian Dunning — Skept...
1. Massimo Pigliucci— Philosopher, author and skeptic. 2. World Health Organisation - Specialized agency of the United Nationsthat is concerned with international public health. 3. Oxfam - Believes a 'simple technological fix' is unlikely to solve world hunger. A farmer's lack of access to food or power over food production are seen as more pressing concerns for food security.
1. Alex Jones — Not at all known for predictably siding with the "wrong" camp on any issue. Sells various popular anti-GMO DVD's, all of them of the pseudoscientific, historical revisionist and conspiratorialflavour. 2. American Academy of Environmental Medicine - Overtly pro-pseudosciencegroup of physicians. 3. The Center for Food Safety, which isn't at all interested in actual food safety. 4. David Icke — Confirming the reptiliandeception fueling the pro-GMO agenda. 5. Deepak Chopra — Quant...
5 days ago · Interviews with experts who have studied charismatic Christian groups such as People of Praise, and with former members of the group, plus a review of the group’s own literature, reveal an organization that appears to dominate some members’ everyday lives, in which so-called “heads” – or spiritual advisers – make big life decisions ...