The Hollywood Sign is more than just nine white letters spelling out a city's name. It’s one of the world's most famous monuments and a universal metaphor for ambition, success, glamour...for this dazzling place, industry and dream we call H-O-L-L-Y-W-O-O-D. Explore this site and discover the Hollywood Sign’s fascinating history.
- Seeing The Sign
A Los Angeles Police Department officer is also stationed at...
- 247 Webcams
The Sign LIVE on Mt. Lee We have upgraded the Hollywood...
- Hiking to The Sign
The three routes below ranked from easy to difficult, the Mt...
- Seeing The Sign
The Hollywood Sign (formerly the Hollywoodland Sign) is an American landmark and cultural icon overlooking Hollywood, Los Angeles, California.It is situated on Mount Lee, in the Beachwood Canyon area of the Santa Monica Mountains.
May 20, 2020 · The Hollywood Sign is located on the south-facing side of Mt. Lee in Griffith Park above the Hollywood Hills. It is in the City of Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, USA. It is in the City of Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, USA.
Hollywood Sign Hiking Tour to Griffith Observatory. 39. Private and Luxury. from $35.90 per adult (price varies by group size) Small-Group Day Tour of Hollywood, Los Angeles and Beaches from Anaheim. 69. Bus Tours. from $89.00 per adult. Perfect 5 ½ Hour LA & Hollywood Tour from Santa Monica.
- Los Angeles, 90068, California
People also ask
How do you visit Hollywood Sign?
What are the best ways to see the Hollywood Sign?
How close can you get to the Hollywood Sign?
What was the original Hollywood Sign?
Smith Novelty Hollywood Sign Replica - Wood (12 Inch, White w/Rhinestones) 4.5 out of 5 stars. 35. $16.99. $16. . 99. Promotion Available. Get it as soon as Wed, Aug 18.
- Jesse Greenspan
- The Hollywood sign is only slightly younger than the district itself. Harvey and Daeida Wilcox founded Hollywood in 1887 as a community for likeminded followers of the temperance movement.
- The sign was created as a real-estate advertisement. By 1923 Los Angeles Times publisher Harry Chandler had decided to invest in an upscale real-estate development called Hollywoodland, which capitalized on the growing recognition of Hollywood as a movie-industry mecca.
- A struggling actress took her life there. Although the Hollywood sign symbolizes glamour and stardom, it can also represent broken dreams. In spring 1932 stage actress Peg Entwistle moved from New York City to Los Angeles to try her luck with movies.
- Four letters on the sign were eventually removed. Regular maintenance on the sign stopped when the Hollywoodland real-estate development went under due to the Great Depression.