People also ask
What are the top 50 largest cities in the world?
Which city is the biggest in the world?
What cities have the highest population?
What population is considered a large city?
Tokyo is widely considered the world's largest city (by urban area and metropolitan area). The satellite image shows that its urbanization has exceeded its city limits. A city can be defined by the inhabitants of its demographic population, as by metropolitan area, or labour market area. UNICEF defines metropolitan area as follows:
May 28, 2020 · Today the Earth, it is thought to be in the neighborhood of 7,787,190,943 Tokyo has always been the largest city in Japan, and is one of the most prominent cities in the world. Shanghai is the most populous city in China, and some believe it is the largest city on Earth.
Jan 12, 2020 · The world's largest urban area, Tokyo (37.4 million), has almost the same population as the entire country of Canada (37.6 million). The 2018 data on the 30 largest cities of the world, compiled by the United Nations Population Division, reflects the best possible estimates of the populations of these huge cities.
- Matt Rosenberg
- Geography Expert
- Guangzhou, China - 48,600,000. With an urban area population nearly reaching 50 million, the city of Guangzhou, China, is the largest city in the world in terms of population.
- Tokyo, Japan - 39,800,000. Tokyo is the capital of Japan, as well as the country’s largest city. It is also the second-largest city in the world in terms of urban area, with a population of over 36,923,000 residents.
- Shanghai, China - 31,000,000. Shanghai, China, is also the third-largest urban area in the world, with a population of over 30 million. Shanghai is a global center for finance and is home to one of the world's most important ports.
- Jakarta, Indonesia - 28,900,000. Jakarta is the fourth-largest urban area in the world. The city is the capital city as well as the largest city in Indonesia.
- New York City. The City of New York is a vast metropolitan region, occupying a total of 8,683 square kilometers. The megacity is next to one of the largest natural harbors in the world.
- Tokyo. Tokyo was established in May 1889 as a municipality headquarter. Located in Japan, the vast city is divided into 35 political subdivisions called wards.
- Chicago. Chicago, in the United States, has a massive land area. Since its incorporation in 1837, the city has grown rapidly despite its Great Fire of 1871 that caused enormous destruction.
- Atlanta. Atlanta City, Georgia occupies 5,083 square miles and is home to more than 3.5 million people. Its population density is 700 people per square kilometer, making it one of the least populated major cities.