People also ask
What are some examples of an oligarchy government?
What are the two types of oligarchy?
Which of the following is an example of an oligarchy?
What is the difference between an oligarchy and a republic?
Oligarchy definition is - government by the few. How to use oligarchy in a sentence. oligarchy and Other Words for Rulers
Oligarchy (from Greek ὀλιγαρχία (oligarkhía); from ὀλίγος (olígos) 'few', and ἄρχω (arkho) 'to rule or to command') is a form of power structure in which power rests with a small number of people.
Oligarchy, government by the few, especially despotic power exercised by a small and privileged group for corrupt or selfish purposes. Oligarchies in which members of the ruling group are wealthy or exercise their power through their wealth are known as plutocracies.
Oligarchy definition, a form of government in which all power is vested in a few persons or in a dominant class or clique; government by the few. See more.
A plutocracy is a subset of an oligarchy. In a plutocracy, the leaders are rich. The leaders in an oligarchy don't have to be rich, even though they usually are. For example, a high school ruled by a popular clique is an oligarchy. A plutocracy is always an oligarchy, but there could be some oligarchies that aren't plutocracies.
Define oligarchy. oligarchy synonyms, oligarchy pronunciation, oligarchy translation, English dictionary definition of oligarchy. government by the few: The citizens ...
- Oligarchy Definition. Coming from the Greek word oligarkhes, meaning “few governing,” an oligarchy is any power structure controlled by a small number of people called oligarchs.
- Modern Oligarchy Examples. A few examples of modern oligarchies are Russia, China, Iran, and perhaps the United States.
- Russia. Though Russian President Vladimir Putin denies it, he functions as part of a wealth-based ruling oligarchy that had its beginnings in the 1400s.
- China. The religion-based Chinese oligarchy regained control after the death of Mao Tse-Tung in 1976. Claiming to be descendants of Taoism’s “Eight Immortals,” members of the so-called “Shanghai gang” oligarchs control most state-owned corporations, consult on and profit from business deals, and intermarry in order to maintain their relationship to the Immortals.
Aug 03, 2018 · An oligarchy is a style of government or management where the few rule over the rest. It may surprise you how contemporary this system actually is.
- Anne Sraders
Oligarch definition is - a member or supporter of an oligarchy. Recent Examples on the Web On Wednesday this column wondered what a company controlled by a Ukrainian oligarch got in return for large checks to a Biden family member.
- Russia. To be rich in Russia, you must have contacts within the government. If you don't maintain these contacts, you can lose your power and wealth. As a result, many Russian billionaires buy assets in other countries.
- China. An oligarchy took control of China after the death of Mao Tse-Tung. It is the 103 members of the families descended from the "Eight Immortals," according to research done by Bloomberg News.
- Saudi Arabia. The Royal Family is an oligarchy since it's not run by any one person. The reigning monarch must share his power with the descendants of the country's founder.
- Iran. An oligarchy of Islamic clerics, relatives, and business associates runs the country. They took power after the demise of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.