What is Southern hip hop?
- Southern hip hop, also known as Southern rap, South Coast hip hop, or Dirty South, is a blanket term for a regional genre of American hip hop music that emerged in the Southern United States, especially in Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Memphis, and Miami — the five of which constitute the "Southern Network" in rap music.
Southern hip hop, also known as Southern rap, South Coast hip hop, or dirty south, is a blanket term for a regional genre of American hip hop music that emerged in the Southern United States and the Southeastern United States, especially in Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Memphis, and Miami—five cities which constitute the "Southern Network" in rap music. The music was a reaction to the 1980s flow of hip hop culture from New York City and the Los Angeles area and can be considered the third ...
Apr 20, 2018 · Nas, ‘Illmatic’: Nas has never acknowledged the likely influence for this cover – jazzsters the Howard Hanger Trio’s sleeve for ‘A Child is Born’.The meaning of the pensive cover ...
People also ask
What is Southern hip hop?
How did Atlanta become the center of Southern rap?
How did Southern hip hop change in the 1990s?
When was the height of Southern hip-hop?
- Notorious B.I.G, 'Ready To Die' Another album cover featuring a baby picture of the rapper who made it, Notorious' 'Ready To Die' album was released in 1994 and included the incredible single 'Juicy'
- Kanye West, '808s & Heartbreak' The cover art for Kanye's auto-tune album '808s & Heartbreak' features a broken heart and was designed by KAWS. The album arrived shortly after the death of West's mother, Donda.
- Drake, 'Nothing Was The Same' Drake's third studio album features two covers - one of him as a child and one of him now - and the oil painting was created by Southern California's Kadir Nelson, the designer behind Michael Jackson's posthumous album cover, 'Michael'.
- Beastie Boys, 'Paul's Boutique' The artwork for Beastie Boys' 1989 album 'Paul's Boutique' is a photograph of Ludlow Street and was shot by photographer Jeremy Shatan, but credited to Nathanial Hörnblowér.
The album presaged hip hop's "Dirty South" aesthetic, which later achieved mainstream recognition. Its smooth musical style, drawing on soul and funk musical traditions, and the duo's clever lyrics helped define Southern hip hop's sound, which influenced acts like Goodie Mob, Joi, and Bubba Sparxxx.
Jun 10, 2008 · As a 1994 issue of The Source dedicated to Miami — touted as "hip-hop's hidden hotbed" on the cover — indicated, Bass was enjoying a level of exposure and interest in the rap world that was unprecedented for a place outside of the East Coast / West Coast framework. The production of Miami-style bass music quickly spread to other ...
Oct 25, 2021 · Although the vibrant, kid-friendly cover of Astroworld is the most recognized artwork for Travis Scott’s quadruple-platinum album, the 2018 album also came packaged with an alternative NSFW cover.