- Strom Thurmond (December 5, 1902 – June 26, 2003) Oldest Age While Serving: 100 years, 29 days. State: South Carolina. Party: Democratic (before 1964) and Republican (from 1964 – 2003)
- Theodore F. Green (October 2, 1867 – May 19, 1966) Oldest Age While Serving: 93 years, 3 months, 1 day. State: Rhode Island. Party: Democratic. Years Served: January 3, 1937 – January 3, 1961 (24 years)
- Robert Byrd (November 20, 1917 – June 28, 2010) Oldest Age While Serving: 92 years, 7 months, 8 days. State: West Virginia. Party: Democratic. Years Served: January 3, 1959 – June 28, 2010 (51 years, 5 months, 26 days)
- Carl Hayden (October 2, 1877 – January 25, 1972) Oldest Age While Serving: 91 years, 3 months, 1 day. State: Arizona. Party: Democratic. Years Served: March 4, 1927 – January 3, 1969 (41 years, 9 months, 30 days)
In 2011, Barbara Mikulski became the longest-serving female senator in history. As of 2020, she remains the longest-serving female senator, having served for 30 years. In 2012, there was a second "Year of the Woman," with the election of five women and the re-election of six women.
People also ask
Who is the oldest woman in Congress?
Who is the longest-serving female senator in history?
Who was the first woman in the US Senate?
Who is the oldest sitting US Senator?
- Rebecca Latimer Felton: Democrat, Georgia, 1922 (a courtesy appointment)
- Hattie Wyatt Caraway: Democrat, Arkansas, 1931 to 1945 (first woman elected to a full term)
- Rose McConnell Long: Democrat, Louisiana, 1936 to 1937 (appointed to the vacancy caused by the death of her husband, Huey P. Long, then won a special election and served not quite a year; she did not run for election to a full term)
- Dixie Bibb Graves: Democrat, Alabama, 1937 to 1938 (appointed by her husband, Governor Bibb Graves, to fill a vacancy caused by the resignation of Hugo G. Black; she resigned less than 5 months later and did not run as a candidate in the election to fill the vacancy)
On October 3, 1922, Georgia's Democratic governor Thomas Hardwick made history by appointing a woman to a Senate vacancy. He believed this act would appeal to the newly enfranchised women of Georgia. Taking no chances of creating a potential rival for the seat in the upcoming general election, he chose 87-year-old Rebecca Latimer Felton.
John Fetterman’s Wife & Children: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
John Fetterman is Pennsylvania's 6-foot 9-inches tall, cargo-shorts-wearing Lieutenant Governor, who is vying for a spot on the U.S. Senate< ...
8 hours ago
- Dianne Feinstein (June 22, 1933 – Present) Current Age (as of February 2021): 87 years, 7 months, 16 days. Chamber: Senate. State: California. Political Party: Democratic.
- Eddie Bernice Johnson (December 3, 1935 – Present) Current Age (as of February 2021): 85 years, 2 months, 4 days. Chamber: House of Representatives. State: Texas’s 30th District.
- Grace Napolitano (December 4, 1936 – Present) Current Age (as of February 2021): 84 years, 2 months, 3 days. Chamber: House of Representatives. State: California’s 32nd District.
- Maxine Waters (August 15, 1938 – Present) Current Age (as of February 2021): 82 years, 5 months, 23 days. Chamber: House of Representatives. State: California’s 43rd District.
Jun 02, 2021 · Dianne Feinstein, the oldest sitting senator, turns 88 this month. She’s served since 1992. Charles Grassley, three months younger, celebrates his 88th birthday in September. He’s held the job for...